Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Transom Mount Transducer Cable Routing

Hello fellow Maxum owners. I recently purchased a Lowrance Hook 7 chartplotter/fishfinder to install on my 1998 3000 SCR. I'm OK with mounting the transducer to the transom (going to use a Stern Saver) and mounting and powering the head unit at the helm. What I am struggling with is finding the best route to get the cable to the helm area.

I don't see any path on the starboard side. There is routing on the port side but I don't see any way of crossing over. I will gladly purchase an extension cable if necessary.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from someone who has done a similar installation. Shops are wanting $400-$600 labor for this. I will pay if necessary, but would just rather do it myself.

Thanks,
Scott

blakels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Scott. I have a 01 3000 and when I installed mine I went straight up starboard side with no problems. Drilling a hole on the transom in the corner side to start the cable inside the engine compartment. Got the cable passed the water heater and then came to a halt. Where to go with it?

Below your shifters is a little shelf where your macerator buttons are there are two screws. Take them out and the plastic shelf pops out. If you have a long piece of wire, 4 feet, fish that through the opening toward the engine compartment. When see it tape your cable to it and pull it through. Then once you got it there fish the cable under the fuse board to where you are going to connect.

I hope this helps.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

There has to be a route starboard. Follow the Throttle, Shift and Steering cables. They all run on Stbd as does the wiring harness to the helm.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Lt. JG

You two guys are awesome and seem to always be here helping folks. Thank You! I will try the starboard side route since that make the most sense. I just need to commit to doing it myself and I will find a way lol. My boat just got shrink wrapped but I had a zipper door put in so I can access it, but may not get it done until spring now. Starting to get pretty cold here in MI
Old 12-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Running wires is tough and very, very time consuming as a 1-person project. If you can get an electric cord to the boat, then don't dismiss the effect of a small space heater. The shrinkwrap acts like a greenhouse, especially during the day. By mid-day I'm often down to a T-shirt in the middle of New England winters. You can get a lot more done than you think. Just pick warmer days.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Luckily my boat is blocked up right in front of my slip so I can plug in shore power.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

IF they leave the power on at the slips. Not all marinas do. Many shut off the power to the docks over the winter.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Well it finally warmed up enough to do this. I mounted the transducer just to the starboard side of the drain plug a bored a hole straight up above the water line, sealed with 5200 and a clamshell fitting. Then I routed it behind the starboard engine and behind the water heater.

There is an upper trim panel in the aft cabin that that I was able to remove that has access to the engine compartment. Since I had to buy an extension cable, I pushed this through to the engine compartment, connected it to the main cable and pulled it back into the aft cabin.

Then I removed the panel below the shifters that Biggerseager suggested. There is a large harness going through a grommet here. I took the extension cable back off and pushed it through the grommet where I was able to grab it from the opening in the aft cabin, reconnect it to the main cable and pull it through.

I then removed the small panel that holds the ignition switches and was able to fish it over to the port side of the helm where I mounted the unit. I tapped into the power and ground for the VHF radio which is hot all the time.

It took about 4 hours total but if I had to do it again probably about 2 hours. I know this is kind of long but maybe it will help someone else. Thanks for all your suggestions guys.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
Ensign

Awesome post. I will be running wires to connect a transom transducer and radar soon. Thank you very much for sharing your experience