Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Took on some water today.

I forgot to put the drain plug in before I launched the boat. By the time I figured it out, water was about 2-3 inches deep in the stern(above the floor). I flip the switch for the bilge pump and nothing happend. I ended up having to pull the boat out of the water and draining it. While she was out of the water I was going through her and noticed the blower fan stopped working. It worked when I started her up in the water but now it doesn't. Last, what kind of damage may have I sustained by having so much water in the boat, I know the engine compartment was as full as it could get before water started to pour in the the boat.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....it really depends on what water you were in..if fresh..not much will happen...stuff will dry out and then work again....but if it's salt..then you have problems...starter and altenator for one...hopefully water didn't get into the exhaust manifolds and into each cylinder...or up into the carb...which means you need to WD40 everything in sight and also get the plugs out and turn the engine over while spraying wd40 in each cylinder....
the carb needs to get sprayed out too....and finally....get the bilge pump fixed....check the electrical connections around the engine bay too....
spray down the entire engine bay with fresh water if emersed in salt water...gotta get that stuff out and off the metal parts.....

let us know how it went...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Ensign

Luckily, I was in fresh water. so I just need to let things dry out and the blower will work? The bilge might be a project. I'll take a look at the wiring tomorrow. Is there anything specific that I should be looking for. and how do I test the bilge pump?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Admiral

well..it should work..if not then you have to replace it...however...the bilge pump should have a float attached to it...so..if there is some water and the float switch is working properly...then it should come on...if not..there is a switch on the dash..flip that and it should work fine...if not then replace it...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

The float switches are fairly prone to gunking up from all the trash in the bilge....

I'd just rip the pump out and replace it. It's really very simple.. simply unscrew it from the keel.... take it to a local boat store/chandellers and buy the most similar one you can (or more powerful if poss). Then just re-wire it in (being sure to keep any connections above the water line)

There's every chance the blower and possibly bilge have fused, so stick your head under the dash and find your fuse panel.... check for blown fuses - might be as simple as a 75 cent fix!

I'd also totally agree with what SeaPuppy has to say on WD40'ing EVERYTHING and checking and connections (re-greasing) anything that got wet.

Hope that helps!