Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Tilt/trim switch

i currently own a 2000 1800 sr. Asked a while ago about wiring at the trim pump, now sorted that problem and is working however it only works going down off the switch and only comes up with the trailer button, have tested it all and found the switch to be faulty, can this be replaced separately or does the whole unit need replaced? has anybody stripped one of these before and know how the handle comes apart? any help would be appreciated liam

berrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Admiral

liam

from what I remember...when you break the shifter appart...it snaps a chunk of plastic...but that is the replaceable part....the trim switch probably has some corrosion on it....if you can get your hand up there with some wd40...spray liberally...work the switch...chances are it will come back.....use the straw that comes with it...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Captain

indeed SP, use WD 40 to get it working correctly, and after that spray it in with vasoline spray (acid free) it also has a long nipple use it, that will keep the corrosion away.........every winter i spray it on the chrome parts of my suzuki intruder bike, on my complete motorblock of the boat and on all the rubbers of the boat to keep them flexible and soft during the winter....i do that for about 15 years now and never had to replace the rubbers (from the outside to the inside of the boat at the tail). you can get the spray at your local carshop or on the internet, for your boat you need less than 1 spraycan.

here is a link about the product, in english... http://www.kwasny.de/index.php?id=196&L=1

good luck, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks to all who gave assistance and input. I was going to post the same problem with my tilt switch, cant wait to try this... I
mjweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Ensign

Ok, any idea how much WD 40 and how much working the switch is enough? I put about 10 shots in it, and worked the switch for a few minutes and still nothing. I am fully willing to dump a can or two of WD40 if it helps me out. I just dont want to flood or damage my controller.

thanks mike
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Captain

hai mike,

if it does'nt work with 2 or 3 pumps then it wo'nt even work with a 1000 pumps, check al the wirres that go's from the switch to the pump and power supply mayby there's a wire got of. and if it is'nt let it check bij a boat mechanicer.

greatz, ed
Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Ensign

Ok, WD 40 did not revive my tilt switch, anyone know a website or company where I can by the switch? Its on a 3000 quicksilver controller for a 1992 Maxum?
As usual thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
Commander

I had the exact same problem on my boat when I bought it. Turned out to be the contacts in the tilt sender on the outdrive, not the switch in the control. Before you tear apart your control to replace the switch, try the following. Remove the cover from the tilt sender on the port (left) side of the outdrive. Inspect the contacts and clean them with emery paper.

Best of luck. -JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Everyone thanks for the information about the wd40. My local boat shop told me I need a new trim switch since only the up for the trailer worked. Followed the information provided and the up now works perfectly. Thank you all. This is an awesome site.
TayTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayTay View Post
Everyone thanks for the information about the wd40. My local boat shop told me I need a new trim switch since only the up for the trailer worked. Followed the information provided and the up now works perfectly. Thank you all. This is an awesome site.

and now it's time for....... http://www.kwasny.de/index.php?id=196&L=1........it keeps eventualy corrosion away......

greatz and have a happy trim/tilt time, ed