Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Stereo - speakers

I'm thinking of adding two more speakers up in the bow so for better sound up there. I already have the standard four speaker set-up. Can my JBL stereo that came with the boat accomodate two more speakers
would I need to install a whole new system ?

Thanks...

Giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Admiral

how much wattage does your radio put out...sometimes it is marginal with 4 but will handle it ok....might get some 4ohm speakers and splice them into the fwd spkrs...

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Stereo

I just checked my stereo. It says 4 ch x 45 watts on the faceplate.
Giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Admiral

that means that at 45 watts per channel...your not going to have enough to drive the other speakers you might add....I'd look at either an amp of 125 watts or replacing the stereo with one that can handle 125 watts...I know 45 sounds like alot but if you splice it into 2 speakers..it goes in half..so your only able to deliver to the speaker about 22 watts per speaker...not enough noise when out on the water....of course then you have to upgrade the speakers to handle that much pwr.....it's a vicious circle but if you want to have some good tunes...this is what your gonna half to do....I think.... :shock:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Flying_Maxum

get an amp, make sure all your speakers have the same ohm rating, and your good to go.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Default AM/FM/CD Stereo

I hope you guys don't mind me asking a quick question too. I just replaced my stereo and found that the old stereo didn't have the antenna hooked up to anything. I looked around behind the dash and couldn't find an antenna cable. What antenna is the stereo antenna? Is it separate or does it co-use an existing antenna? Thanks in advance for your help. R/John
Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Commander

Those of us with small boats usually use something like this. It is just a wire that you plug into the stereo and lay out behind the mounting location.

For your cruiser, something like this would be better.

Shakespeare 5420 Galaxy 4' AM/FM Antenna

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Giants Fan - What Maxum do you have? If it only has 2 speakers right now then you can add 2 more easily. Though I'd junk those JBL stock speakers - mine were ripped out of my Maxum within a week of purchase. The headunits arne't upto much either and are better in a skip than in the boat as far as I'm concerned.

I'd actually disagree with SeaPuppy over splicing speakers in (wiring in parallel). As this will in fact only give you 6 watts per speaker. The figure of 45 x 4 is peak power. each speaker can only actually get about 22 watts RMS, adding a further speaker in parallel would be a waste of time. Re-Reading SeaPuppys post I think he came to this conclusion anyway though

One thing that really is lacking in my opinion on the Maxums is stereo. As someone that sells stereo to high end marine applications I'm embarrassed by the stock cr*p in my boat - which is actually due to be replaced entirely by Fusion, Kicker and Wetsounds within the next 14 days.
http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/produc...product_id=395
http://www.kicker.com
http://www.wetsounds.com

If anyone has any queries over marine stereo please feel free to fire them at me.. I probably should have made by business clearer before now!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to T.A. Sarles Send a message via Yahoo to T.A. Sarles

Nice to see that cat out of the bag Brit Rider. I didn't like my speakers either (gee only had it for a week go figure) so I traded them out with Polk Audios and a 400w amp, now it sounds better,but a new head unit is going to have to wait until next year. Cheers!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Rider
Giants Fan - What Maxum do you have? If it only has 2 speakers right now then you can add 2 more easily. Though I'd junk those JBL stock speakers - mine were ripped out of my Maxum within a week of purchase. The headunits arne't upto much either and are better in a skip than in the boat as far as I'm concerned.

I'd actually disagree with SeaPuppy over splicing speakers in (wiring in parallel). As this will in fact only give you 6 watts per speaker. The figure of 45 x 4 is peak power. each speaker can only actually get about 22 watts RMS, adding a further speaker in parallel would be a waste of time. Re-Reading SeaPuppys post I think he came to this conclusion anyway though

One thing that really is lacking in my opinion on the Maxums is stereo. As someone that sells stereo to high end marine applications I'm embarrassed by the stock cr*p in my boat - which is actually due to be replaced entirely by Fusion, Kicker and Wetsounds within the next 14 days.
http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/produc...product_id=395
http://www.kicker.com
http://www.wetsounds.com

If anyone has any queries over marine stereo please feel free to fire them at me.. I probably should have made by business clearer before now!
Here's one BR; why the heck are speaker cans for towers so ^%$ Y$#^ expensive?
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Great question

We have actually started building our own ones here in-house primarily because of that reason.

There are some great value speakers out there, but ironically, as soon as something gets below $500 people seem to think its going to be junk (often they're right but there are a few gems to be had!).

Take the Kicker KMT6 tower speakers for example; which can be had off ebay for around $250 brand new if you dig enough. We have tested them with the same amp up against Wetsounds Pro 80's ($900), Monster Tower double bullets (2 different speaker setups ranging from $820-$995).

We only put the kickers in the test as a cheapy bench mark... but MAN did they impress! They weren't quite as clean at high volume or as loud when maxed as the Pro 80's but they weren't anything like as far behind as you'd think. The difference was marginal if anything..... and at 1/4 the price! at the lower volume levels I'd actually put the Kicker units in front of the Wetsounds as they sounded warmer, smoother and more rounded.

Now on the flip side, Inifinity and Bazooka all do "all-in-one" tower setups, and I can say from experience that they are better in the bin than on your tower... They suck on a whole new level.

It is still possible to get a decent tower set up together for under $500, but you'll need to DIY it, and know which parts to use to get it sounding great
Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

In fact, to prove my point, and because since polishing the car this morning I can no longer stand up to do anything else - here's a $500 dollar system that would sound great:

Tower speakers £239.95
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KICKER-KMT6-6-...dZp1638Q2em122

Amplifier $186.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-MX350-4-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Amp wiring kit - inc power, RCA's and speaker wire! $20
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-8ga-Am...QQcmdZViewItem

Total: $446.94

Those of you who know audio will also have noticed that I spec'd a 4 channel amplifier. This is so that should you want to, you can expand your system ecnomically later, or you could bridge the amp and throw a little more power to each of those speakers on the tower.

Say after adding the above stereo you then thought, what the hell... I'll go over my budget by 12 extra bucks... you could also upgrade your internal speakers to these:
2 nice in boat speakers $65.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-KM620...QQcmdZViewItem

This gives you a grand total of $512.89
Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
Commander

Fantastic info BR!!
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

No problem...

Ideally you'd want to junk the head unit too as I mentioned before... but at least with the external amp you get to bypass the terrible JBL internal one.

For $150 you could easily pick up a tasty pioneer (non-marine) unit with an iPod kit - ideal for the Maxums glove box. or for a little more you could track down a Clarion CMD5 or Fusion IP500.

I'll be starting a custom stereo on my 1800SR3 soon (Measuring up tomorrow and then ordering any non-inventory supplies this coming week). I'd hope to have it complete in 2-4 weeks. Should consist of 4-6 in boat mid-range drivers, 4 high range tweeters, 1-2 subs, 1-2 amplifiers, fusion head unit with iPod integration and multi-zone control, driver remote control (and possibly transom mounted also). Not sure on tower speakers yet - for someone that sells them I actually don't use them that often as my boating area isn't really suited to loud music.

A heater is also going in ASAP - I have one reserved out of inventory but just haven't found the time to install yet.

Needless to say power is going to be lacking... an auto battery isolator system and 2nd cell will be going in soon... just need to work out a good place for it.

Would it be worth doing some write-ups on this stuff and posting it up with some pics? Not sure if this is the kind of stuff others on the forum are that interested in really...

Mike

(p.s I PROMISE to quit writing these super long essays soon! )
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Commander

Quote:
Ideally you'd want to junk the head unit too....
Feel free to junk any old stereos my way. I'm still using the original cassette player!

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

What's a cassette?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Lt. JG

Default Stereo FM/AM Antennas

Thanks for the information on the FM/AM stereo (tuner) antenna. I ended up with a small antenna cable that picked up the local stations without any problems. I like cheap solutions that work out.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
Lt. Commander

You cant really splice extra speakers in at all unless the head unit is designed to run extra speakers on a channel or twin voice coils

If you connect two extra speakers in parallel you will end up with two ohms resistance with could blow the internal amplifier

If you connect two extra speakers in series you will end up with eight ohms which will make it difficult for the head unit to push the sound round the circuit

Best to use an amplifier internal amps aren't very good in even the best stereos

Plus you will have a lot better sound when the volume is cranked up
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #19
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to T.A. Sarles Send a message via Yahoo to T.A. Sarles

Isn't a cassette used for streamers? I hear it makes a real cool noise when you put a pencil through one of the gears.....

Speed Up I Hear Banjos
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Lt. Commander

"Speed up I hear banjos" haha, I love that

This pic always makes me laugh... this is redneck boating at it's best... Check out the custom 4x2" wakeboard tower