Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Steering wheel radio wiring connections

I have a 2400 SD maxum open bow and wanted to replace the radio so we could have blue tooth capability. I purchased a kenwood bt315u which has a wire for steering wheel remote (light blue with yellow strip wire) however when I removed my old jvc stereo it had four wires labeled for the remote ( blue - remote control vol, power/down/up/loud,next was blue with white line - remote max 200MA (this was not connected with the JVC model), Orange with white line - remote control select up/1/2/3/4/5/eject and white with blue line - remote control disp/scan/am/fm/cd. So there were three remote wires connected on my old jvc model but only 1 labeled for remote on my new kenwood system. Do I have the wrong model kenwood stereo? Any suggestions on how to connect the left over wire(s) can I get a different module with this stereo? Any suggestions would be helpful. As of now stereo works fine just have to use the remote it came with or use faceplate to control stereo. Would like to use built in dash controls.

Klkfdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Did the new Kenwood come with a remote? Seems like the two use a different interface scheme.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Radio wiring

Yes it did come with a remote and the remote works however I wanted to wire it to control the in dash remote. The remote with the system works without any special wiring the remote wiring is currently not connected .
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Admiral

I don't think its possible to use the existing remote with the new radio.

You could replace it with the new remote and just pick one wire since that is all the new one requires based on what you stated.

Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Ensign

Do you think if I bought a different model radio I could find one with the correct wires to make the in dash radio controls work. I hate that the boat has built in controls in the dash and they would be unusable, however I really want anbloothtooth stereo that we can play our own music on.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klkfdt View Post
Do you think if I bought a different model radio I could find one with the correct wires to make the in dash radio controls work. I hate that the boat has built in controls in the dash and they would be unusable, however I really want anbloothtooth stereo that we can play our own music on.

I do not know but would look into a JVC to see if they still use the interface format.

Mike
Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Captain

Most stereos use a code transmitted on the wire, rather than a seperate wire for each function. You might be able to connect all 3 wires from your jvc remote to your kenwood deck, and get some functionality. There should be a setup function in the deck where you teach it what each button on the steering wheel does.

This question really might do better on an audio forum rather than a boat forum. Check out Crutchfield.com. they may have an article about this.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote