Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Default spotlight wiring on 2700scr

We are installing a remote spotlight on our 1991 Maxum 2700scr and trying to figure out how to conceal wiring from the bow to the instrument panel. Also interested in how to access engine compartment from breakers to run inverter wiring to cabin without tearing something up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....I'd go down the port side...under the fwd vee berth...behind the sink down low...and out the tunnel behind the midberth or batcave....that's where most of the wires are ran....

then into the batt's....mount the relay on the fwd bhd of the engine compartment....

but my question is..do you have a radar arch...if you do..I'd mount it up there....shorter wire run and higher up so you can get better range and doesn't mess up your night vision...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #3

I've considered mounting my spotlight on the radar arch. My concern was the range of motion. Too far to one side or the other and the Radar dome will block the light. I've been looking at mounts as a posible resolution, but haven't found any that won't block the light even partially. I'm afraid placing the radar dome on a new mount and the light under the mount will impact the lights range of motion. Placing the light on a mount that goes around the radar dome leaves me concerned it will impact the accuracy of the radar. Finally, I get a lot of glare off of the deck when I use my hand-held and was concerned about the remote spot on the radar arch causing a similar problem.
I reasoned that out on the bow rail would probably be teh best place for it. I considered running the wires either through the handrail or as you described.

I haven't made a decision yet and look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on the subject.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew
I've considered mounting my spotlight on the radar arch. My concern was the range of motion. Too far to one side or the other and the Radar dome will block the light. I've been looking at mounts as a posible resolution, but haven't found any that won't block the light even partially. I'm afraid placing the radar dome on a new mount and the light under the mount will impact the lights range of motion. Placing the light on a mount that goes around the radar dome leaves me concerned it will impact the accuracy of the radar. Finally, I get a lot of glare off of the deck when I use my hand-held and was concerned about the remote spot on the radar arch causing a similar problem.
I reasoned that out on the bow rail would probably be teh best place for it. I considered running the wires either through the handrail or as you described.

I haven't made a decision yet and look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on the subject.

well..if you do put a mount for the light that goes above the radar ..then the mount is so close it won't see it....meaning...like looking thru a chain link fence....if your too close with a camera...it blurs right out and won't pay it any attention...I've seen radars mounted fwd of a mast and because it's so close...the radar just doesn't see it...so that's not an issue...
glare shouldn't be an issue either cuz the light is high and behind you...shining fwd and is above the water further ...should be a better light source.......putting it on the bow rail and all...well..you have the possibility of undersizing the wires thus reducing the output of the light if your not careful....and running all that way..really is a pain...but ...I'm thinking about adding one to my radar arch and on a 6" mount ..I'm thinking will get it above the canvas top.......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the help and info. We got it accomplished finally. Ended up mounting on the pulpit and running back to dash, also added wireless remote inline to run spot up to 100 ft. away, Also wired receptacle box in engine compartment to run heater etc. Got lots of experience pulling wire. Also got brave and changed out stereo to new Sony system with on dash remote. Now its on to the new bottom job. Thanks again, Soonermitch