Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default speedometer

another problem occured
the speedometer doesnt work
where do i start looking
is this something maxum-like or is it yust my boat
have to say that they fixed a new engine last year.
is the speedo electronical and if so where would i have to look for the sensor
rens

rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Rens
the first place to look is at the front or leading edge of the out drive there is small hole about 1/8 th of an inch in diameter...located about half way up from the bullet....take a 1/8th inch drill bit and by hand only...twist it into the hole to clear it...at the top of the drive you'll see a hose coming into the drive near the bellows...1/4" hose ..black in color ..make sure that is still connected to the drive.....

that's about all there is...if there is a chunk of wood lodged into the front of the drive..it will block the pitot hole on the drive..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi there i have the same proplemwith my 2300sr OK im cleaning the leading edge of the out drive there is small hole about 1/8 th of an inch in diameter...located about half way up from the bullet....take a 1/8th inch drill bit and by hand only...twist it into the hole to clear it
at the top of the drive can i use some dry-cleaner hanger put in down and clean it???
because im try too but i feel like some thing in there please help
vinniely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I just went through this with mine guys and it took me some time to get it all cleared out. I almost gave up on it. I had use an air compressor, add some water, and etc... to finally clear the blockage of limerock and debris wedged in the hole. Check this link...http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...p-alpha-1-gen2
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

While we're on the topic, I was inspecting my B3 outdrive last weekend and noted that the speedometer hose is cut in two. Last season I noticed my speedo wasn't working but that is pretty common with boats and I did not think much of it, since I have a GPS I can use for speed. It seems wrong to have this broken tube hanging there and a useless gauge on the dash, so I would like to repair it. Does anyone know if I can just splice the hose using a plumbing splicer or do I have to replace the whole thing and feed it through the transom.

ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Not sure but I would give it a shot before I replaced the whole thing. If you have a gps and can check it against the gauge,then splice it and see if it reads close. I don't think any of the pitot styles are truly accurate so if it is close then I'd say it worked. It just runs off of pressure from the water/air in the hose so it should as long as it is repaired. Someone may have some better advice but I don't see where the splice could affect the pressure that drastically to damage the gauge, and that would be the greatest concern for me, or you I should say. Let us know though what happens if you try it in case we find ourselves in the same situation.

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote