Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Tug
Ensign

Default Shore power not working

I have a 93 2700 SCR, and the other day I found no power to the main breaker panel. This is the first time this has ever happened. Checked the cable and shore power and all is well. I checked the manual and could not find any reference to a fuse panel other than the one under the helm. Any help is appreciated.

Tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Default Re: Shore power not working

If you have power to the external plug. ( From power stand to the boat)

Lets start here.
Depending on your setup.
Check that you are getting power to the main breaker switch or charger. If not,
--Check for corrosion or broken wires on the backside of the shore connection. (Common for salt water used boats)
--Check for corrosion or broken wires on the inside of breaker panel to main line switch.
--Check the main line switch with meter, power or no, open and close.
--Check the other power switches for power, and also to make sure they open and close.
--Check for corrosion, broken, or loose wires to the charger.
--Check the charger. Open the case and make sure connections are not melted and internal fuse is not blown.
--Check your inverter if you have one.
A lot of times a combination of heat, water, and age will melt the wiring on the backside of the shore connection. Seen this one many times at the marina.

If your outside power goes through the charger first, isolate the charger, and see if you now have power to the panel.

I am guessing that your power goes to the fuse panel first --->Main Line 1 (Possible Main Line 2 if you have 2 shore power cords)---->Sub switches---->charger, frig, a/c, outlets, inverter, range, others.

If you dont have power from the back side of the shore connection to the fuse panel. Time to use the volt meter. You are going to have read each section of wire for an open or direct ground. Dont try to read through the system, you will get errors everytime.
Disconnect the incoming wires to the main line breaker and read directly from the shore connection to the end. You will most likely need a couple of feet of extra wire to help you make a complete loop of the wire circuit you are making.

Next read from Main Line 1 to the each Sub Switch. And then keep following each one of those circuits. You will most likely find your problem early from the shore connection to the fuse panel!

It can be a long job, I know I have had this problem myself. If you need more help I will look up your circuit and be more specific. Hope this helps.

Charles

I dont know your setup, and dont have a schematic of your boat. But this is usually a pretty stright forward fix.