Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Retrofitting a Maxum 2600 SE

I just became the proud owner of a 2006 Maxum 2600SE. She doesn't have any nav equipment installed, but I notice there is room on the control panel/dashboard for a GPS/Plotter and a VHF radio.

I'd like to retrofit her with a GPS/plotter that has a pretty good sized screen, and one that has an interface to a DSC radio.

I don't have the boat yet so I can't check. Does anyone know if there are limitations to what can be mounted in the dash? I could also mount something on top but I'd prefer to use the space in the dash.

Any suggestions for a GPS/Plotter and a VHF radio that would fit are appreciated!

iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Iceman, I am not familiar with your model so can't be any help. But, I wanted to say congrats on the boat and welcome. Good luck!

New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
Admiral

Talking

when we bought our boat back in march...I got the lowrance HS5 and it's matching radio...they connect together for DHS and you can also add (with a few more boat bucks) a side scan sonar system....
Garmin makes a couple of good radios and fishfinders but I don't know if they have a gps/fishfinder/radio that all connects together....the lowrance system works well from my experience....also raymarine makes a couple of good units too...really at this point it's ..how much do you want to spend....???...2 boatbucks (which is about 2 grand) can buy you a nice system...
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/
http://www.raymarine.com/Default.asp...tion=2&page=33

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

IM,

All the major manufacturers make nice units these days, covering all sorts of price points. I doubt you'll be able to make any decisions until you see how much space there is on the dash, if that space is flat enough for flush mounting, and if there space behind the dash to accommodate the depth of the units and their wiring. Consider, also, how visible the screen will be if flush mounted in the location you choose. It's angle, direct sunlight, etc.

Pretty certain most, if not all, of the GPS and VHF units can interface with each other for DSC. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 541s and a Standard Horizon VHF (1500 something or other) - the 541s feeds coordinates to the VHF without problem.

Standard Horizon also makes an all in one unit (GPS+VHF) that I almost went with. Might be an option.

Hate to bring it up but will possible theft be a concern? Once you "permanently" install expensive electronics you won't be taking them out - but a thief certainly will. They'll likely pass over the VHF since they arn't expensive enough to bother with, but 1K or more worth of GPS might be worth their time.

Just some food for thought......

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maxum offered a Nav package option that included a flush mounted GPS plotter and a VHF radio. These were the model numbers:
Navman 5500 Color Plotter
Navman 7100 VHF Radio w/Whip Antenna & Stainless Steel Mount

So I know those would fit, but I don't know how good they are or if they are even available anymore.

Dan, you make a good point about theft. The boat will be in my driveway at least part of the year. I don't have a good way of securing it. I'll have to think about that.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I am happy with my Garmin GPS and Cobra VHF DSC. They interconnect just fine. I chose the Cobra because it was one of the few that have the speaker in the mic. This makes it so easy to talk and hear when the boat is underway.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

IM,

At the lower end of the market the leaders in GPS are Garmin, Lowrance, maybe Raymarine. Navman....I dunno. But since you do know the Navman model it shouldn't be too difficult to track down its dimensions and then find a unit approx the same size.

It rather sucks that theft has to be a concern, but so it is. Someone boarded my boat last season while it sat on its trailer at the marina. Nothing was taken, possibly because there wasn't anything of substantial value to take, but knowing someone was on it bugged me. It'll come down to how secure your facilities are but there are low-life bottom dwellers everywhere.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Iceman,
i have a 2006 2600SE

when I purchased the boat it already had a Garmin 492 color GPS/plotter and no radio. The Garmin is approx 6" screen. Works great for me but I just hang around the ICW. mounting: it is flush mounted on the dash on the right side of the steering wheel. however you have room on the left as well. the antenna is mounted on top of the dash. Most new GPS have built in antenna so you dont have to worry about that.

As for VHF. I also researched and saw that the Navman 7100 was the original equipment. I just bought one last week. They are now discontinued but go under a new name. I did some research and found good reviews about it. Originally sold for $179.00 and you can find on line for $129-159 but I just got mine for 59.95 from a place in Fla. Bethel Marine Electronics. As for placement it has a pocket that it will fit right into for in dash mount. currently you should have a small cubby hole on the right side of the stering wheel. big enough for a cell phone or wallet. If you take that out it will mount right there.

Good luck. I have some questions about the same boat. do you have a windlass? tv/dvd? and cockpit refrig. I can't figure out my tv mount maybe you can send me pic. windlass, wondering what was original equipment...
cassymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Admiral

cassymai...welcome to the zoo...good post info...

however..one of my biggest beef about the radio being low and near your knee is the placement in that cubby...
I'd recommend you putting or finding a place for the vhf up higher on the dash so that you can hear it well enough while under way...
for me..mine was already installed low...and to the stbd of my helm wheel..so...I went to west marine for 40 bucks and got an external speaker....you can definitely hear it now..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

cassymai, Thanks for the info. Turns out I had an Icom VHF radio installed in that preformed slot. Seapuppy makes a good point about hearability - I might need an external speaker.

As far as GPS goes, my game plan is to install a Garmin 740S when it comes out in a few weeks. It has a 7" display, which is nice for my aging eyes. Price is right too. I'm leaning toward a dash mount so I can remove it when the boat is stored.

I don't have a windlass but that's another upgrade I'm interested in, so I'd love to hear what you end up doing. I do have a factory TV/DVD belowdecks, and I'll take a picture of it next weekend when I get the boat back. Right now I'm having someone adjust the trailer. It's a long story but I've been in trailer hell for awhile.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Yes, SeaPuppy made a good point.

I haven't installed my radio yet so I will definetly think twice about where I put it.

not sure where and still have a nice appearance.

Windlass, Yes i am looking into that right now. there is another post on here with someone doing that also on a 2700.

The TV VCR mount. It is there but for the life of me i can't figure how the TV mounts to it. I really think something is missing but the parts breakdown only shows 1 part #.

I bought the boat used and the TV was missing but wires and mount are there.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
Lieutenant

I also have a 2006 2600 SE. The TV mount is specific to the Sharp Aquos TV that came with the boat. That TV has a handle built into the top of the TV that is used to hang the TV from the mount. I have the factory windlass, it is a Lewmar.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Capav8r,

You mentioned you have the factory Lewmar windlass. is your switch bult into the dash. I have just purchased a lewmar V700 on line and plan to put in ASAP. I have a switch on my dash from the factory for the windlass but it is not a rocker switch. I am guessing this is just to turn 12 volts on ??

do you have 2 switches??

Where dos the breaker get installed?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #14
Admiral

the breaker for the relay gets installed in the dc breaker panel at your knees.the actual main breaker on mine is in the engine bay above the batt's......my switch is on the dash and is part of the rocker clusters.....I keep hitting that instead of the engine hatch lift......

post pic's of the install...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-28-2023, 12:02 AM   #15
Ensign

It won’t connect to DCS but I had a nice Raymarine unit but found the best and most economical thing to use is an I-Pad running Navionics Boat. I traveled all over the Bahamas and it worked great. Also nice to catch a movie or an e-mail. I used the Raymarine as a redundant system

GMcFeron is offline   Reply With Quote