Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Replacing VHF antenna and mount on 2400SCR

My stock 8' Shakespeare antenna broke at the base when a trash bag got caught on the tip of the antenna and the wind bent it back. (stored folded down on trailer).

Anyway, I am going to replace the antenna, as well as replace the nylon antenna mount with a SS one. I am having a devil of a time removing the starboard stereo speaker in the cockpit. The antenna mount hardware is right behind the speaker, so before I break it, is there some trick to the JVC speaker grille that I am missing? I have removed the four screws at the corners, but at the 3 and 9 o'clock appears to be some type of connection as well, and that bad boy is just not moving.

After I remove the speaker, I am guessing that replacing the mount is pretty straightforward - However, since the run up to the instrument panel is pretty blind, does anyone have any tricks for running the new antenna cable up to the VHF? I could tape the old and new together and just pull it through.

Although I haven't verified, it looks as though in the aft berth at the top of the starboard side wall there is an access panel that may gain me some access to some of the cabling behind the instrument panel. Is this accurate?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Lieutenant

what you see at 3 and 9 are the screw mounts from the speaker to the grill. I just had mine out, once you take out those 4 screws (through the grill) the speaker (and grill) should come out as a unit. Is it possible that it is sealed in there.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Admiral

I'm not sure how the speaker is attached...mine is a bit different..

but for the antenna wire...tape them together and pull from the radio side...it will follow...you may need someone to pay it into the hold as you pull...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Lt. JG

dubl dip - you were correct. Those speakers are sealed into place. I need to get to the nuts on the other side of my antenna mount so I can remove old and install new. I am thinking of softening it up with a heat gun, but not sure how surrounding gelcoat would tolerate the heat.

My last antenna had nuts and fender washers on antenna mount, and I am sure they would drop into the nether regions as soon as I remove the bolts.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Well, mission accomplished. I slowly pried the speaker off, and was able to get at the antenna. The original nylon mount was installed with self-tapping screws, which I replaced with bolts. The access panel in the aft berth area is held in place with four screws, and after removing that, I was able to feed the new antenna cable up to the radio. Pretty straightforward. New antenna and new mount - thanks for the help!