Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Replacement Depth Display

ok, so this thread is old, but I'm gonna throw this out there nonetheless. Have 1998 2300SC. Depth Guage (OEM installed Standard Horizon D40BB). The "LCD Display" is bearly visable anymore, but the system appears to be working just fine. Called Standard Horizon and they say this is a discontinued item and they have been out out of the instrumentation business for about 10 years now, and have no ideal where I can get a replacement display. Anyone have any ideas?

cwolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Weclome aboard cwolaw!!!

Yep three year old post and only vaguely related. No worries. I moved the post to its own dedicated thread.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Admiral

Yes CW....get a new one. You must have room for either a display or gauge model for your boat and to put a new transducer on will be a piece of cake to install. They have come along way from your 98 model. Buy a model that has all the bells and whistles or stick to a plain jane either you will be happier.Hummingbird, garmin,lowrance and raymarine are all good brands. Do shop around.

I guess sometimes it is best to give the old up and start with something new.

Hope this helps:-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Lt. JG

or you can order one of these - http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/s...r-finder-gauge - which is an identical fit for the old unit. That's what i did.

ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Admiral

Well that is a bird of a different color.............if that is the same one go that route ....that's a no brainer!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Default Wiring it up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcurra View Post
or you can order one of these - http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/s...r-finder-gauge - which is an identical fit for the old unit. That's what i did.

EZCURRA - This is great! Thanks! I gave up on it last year and never saw this response. Just found it again researching. Appears they still have that display, so I ordered it!

Thanks So Much!
cwolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Default depth not working

My factory in dash digital depth finder on my 1999 SCR 2800 shows 2 dashes across the face. How do I know if the depth finder is bad or if the transducer is bad? The transducer is glued to the inside of the engine compartment so I don't want to take it out if it is still good.
rjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames View Post
My factory in dash digital depth finder on my 1999 SCR 2800 shows 2 dashes across the face. How do I know if the depth finder is bad or if the transducer is bad? The transducer is glued to the inside of the engine compartment so I don't want to take it out if it is still good.
Loss of transducer typically yields the reading you are getting, however it could be the gauge. Only way to find out is replace the transducer.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
Lt. JG

What are the logistics for feeding a new transducer cable from the bottom of the engine compartment to the dash? Which panel would I need to open to give the best access to the cable, as I pull it through?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
Admiral

I have a 2400 so not sure about your model.

So you are mounting the tranducer in the engine compartment bonded to the hull, correct.

My boat has access panels in the mid berth they give access to wiring. I also removed the side speaker and used a fish tape from the helm to speaker then drilled a hole in engine bay forward bulkhead and fished to the speaker.

Once done calked hole with 4200

Mike
Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 AM   #11
Lt. JG

know this is a really old thread but wondering if rjames had any luck getting his display working again. I have a new gauge I purchased from GLS last winter, I hooked it up and only got the two dashes he speaks of. I wonder if he ever replaced the transducer or is it possible to service them. I have read that they have water in them, could it just be that the water has gone out of it and it needs refilled. I have no idea where the transducer even is, anyone know where they put them on the 2800SCR, mines a 98 model
Chillaxintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxintoo View Post
know this is a really old thread but wondering if rjames had any luck getting his display working again. I have a new gauge I purchased from GLS last winter, I hooked it up and only got the two dashes he speaks of. I wonder if he ever replaced the transducer or is it possible to service them. I have read that they have water in them, could it just be that the water has gone out of it and it needs refilled. I have no idea where the transducer even is, anyone know where they put them on the 2800SCR, mines a 98 model
The transducer is either mounted on the exterior of the transom or in the engine compartment forward of the engine. If in the engine compartment it is bonded to the inside of the hull and if the bond is broken an air barrier is created resulting in the transducer from seeing the bottom and the display shows the two dashes. In some installments water is used at the bond to ensure a good sound joint.

Mike
Old 04-08-2017, 03:26 AM   #13
Lt. JG

thanks for the info. I'll have to take a closer look inside the engine compartment when I get to the boat next. I don't believe it has an external unit.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxintoo View Post
thanks for the info. I'll have to take a closer look inside the engine compartment when I get to the boat next. I don't believe it has an external unit.
It will look like a hockey puck.

Mike
Old 04-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #15
Lt. JG

yeah, I've seen a few pictures, I'm guessing if it's damaged there probably won't be a replacement available to work with the replacement gauge I already bought. Probably looking at a whole new unit.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
Lt. JG

The one I purchased is this one Airmar http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarP79-RCA.aspx which you fill with antifreeze, so is liquid filled and I glued to the hull with 3m 5200. It works great so far, but if I was to do it again I would try to find a puck based one that you simply glue to the hull, with no liquid filling, like the original one. I also have a depth finder attached and I didn't know where to put the transducer, so put it way in the back in front of the drain plug, which is always wet, and placed a bag full of shot lead on top of it to hold it in place with plans to eventually find a place to glue it, and have never gotten around to gluing it down, because it works great as it is.

The digital depth gauge I purchased is this one http://greatlakesskipper.com/standar...r-finder-gauge. I have a feeling they will eventually go out of stock so now have an extra one.