Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Radio Problems

Gentlemen,

First, I want to once again thank the moderators of this forum for the valuable information it makes available to us Maxum owners who know little about electronic / mechanical issues. I am very much electronically "challenged" to say the least. We bought a new 2008 Maxum 1900SR3 last month and have really enjoyed being out on it. The only problem we have been having is with the dealer installed "upgraded" ( 2 extra speakers and 2 remote panels - one at the helm and one at the transom walk through near the swim platform) JPL sound system / radio. When we checked the boat at the dealership before the shakedown with the salesman the radio worked. When the salesman trailered the boat to the harbor and we boarded the radio wouldn't work. After the shakedown, when we got back to the dealership and were signing the papers, a tech found a loose connection - zip tied it - and the radio worked. When we trailered her home (100 miles) and launched the next morning, the radio wouldn't work. The dealer sent a tech to the house and "fixed" the loose connection again. The radio worked. When we trailered and launched the next time, the radio was out again. This time the tech by-passed the connector / adaptor and "hard wired" the radio. It worked. We trailered it, launched it and it worked for a few hours. By the time we got home, it wasn't working. I contacted the dealer and demanded a "new" radio and all "new" wiring. They are shipping the new radio to the tech to install. My question is......there is obviously a fault with the old radio and / or a loose connection in the various harnesses / bundles somewhere. What should I be checking / making the tech check THIS time when he installs the new radio. For example, I think he said the radio (in the glove box) wiring goes around the bow to the fuses in front of the helm. Should I ask him to wire the radio direct from it back to the battery (port stern area - same side) where there is aslo a fuse? This could eliminate any other loose harnesses going the other way? FYI - all other electronics / gauges / instruments are working fine. Sorry for the long winded question but I want to make sure this is the last time I see the tech's happy face for a while! Thanks in advance for any input guys. It is truly appreciated.
Brian

New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Radio Problems

that would be an optional method of hard wiring the radio to the pwr supply...with that said....let the tech do his job and see if the new instl works...after the instl is in...have him stand by while you take it on a ride or take him with you and see if the fix is in.......if it still messes up...then try the method of re-running the pwr supply to the batts with a fuse inline up near the radio....

SP irate:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks SP - appreciate the advice.
Brian
2008 Infiniti G-35
Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Update: The dealer asked that I bring the boat to them (200 miles round trip!) instead of sending a local tech to the house. They replaced the stereo (upgraded model), wiring and connectors - all under warranty. Have been out several times since and all is working great - finally. Seems the original stereo had some unidentified fault. They took care of some other minor issues with bimini and floor locker. Anyway, just wanted to give this update. FYI - the dealer is Hipp Marine in Newport Beach, CA. While they can be a bit slow and it was pain trailering it down there and back ( but I knew I'd be facing that when I purchased the boat there so I am not complaining), they seem to be treating me very fairly and standing behind the product. We are really enjoying the boat - especially now that we can listen to some tunes!
2008 Infiniti G-35