Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I love innovation, but have to ask....

1) I assume that toggle shutoff really is a protected switch so you don't accidentally shut the motor off? So you would need to lift the cover in order to actuate the shutoff?

2) If you bend keys with your knees, then what is to stop you from hitting the starter while the engine is running?

3) Wouldn't it have just been easier to move the existing keyed switch?

4) What is to prevent anyone from starting the boat? Is there a keyed switch someone else that activates/deactivates the circuit?
And question 5 - if no key to answer 4 - will your insurance be valid?

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Lt. JG

The new location is away from my knees, egress path, steps to the bow, all the things that make the factory key location susceptible to bending and breaking. That switch will not get hit by accident. It is on the far starboard lower side of the instrument cluster. The safety toggle is up to run, and slamming it shut is the shut off, quicker than turning the key for an emergency shut down. Did not want to move the existing key since I will eventually get rid of the boat and I wanted no permanent modification or cosmetic issues. Theft protection- there are 14 toggle switches or so on the boat, and one of them is the secret energize switch. I guarantee a thief will hot-wire it long before he thinks to try every switch combination or think the key is not needed to energize it. The only boats ever taken from the marina were either hot wired, had a hideaway key that was found, or had a screwdriver twist the ignition switch. Lets face it, a phillips head screwdriver to remove 4 screws, and 2 alligator clips, and I could steal every boat in the marina. These things are far from theft proof. Heck, if its a runabout I don't even need the screwdriver as the ignition circuit is accessible from under the dash.

I appreciate all the questions as it makes me think and reconfirm I thought it through ahead of time.

paulswagelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Paul,
Can you list your source(s) for the aviation switch and the weatherproof pushbutton?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
Lt. JG

I purchased them both at Advanced Auto parts locally. They are readily available. Summit racing online has them for instance. Toggle is around $12 and starter around $9.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

[QUOTE=paulswagelock;26317]The new location is away from my knees, egress path, steps to the bow, all the things that make the factory key location susceptible..........................QUOTE]

Nice!! It sounds like you've got it covered.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

This sounds awesome, Ive thought obout doing something similar. The one question I have is: The accessory switch you used, I assume it was a spare, and not for a device? I've done very similar for vehicles (lots of theft of GM trucks in my area) and we usually just use an accessory (active) and wire it in line to the start only function. That way it doesn't stay on once running but can power the device parallel the start.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vffb507 View Post
This sounds awesome, Ive thought obout doing something similar. The one question I have is: The accessory switch you used, I assume it was a spare, and not for a device? I've done very similar for vehicles (lots of theft of GM trucks in my area) and we usually just use an accessory (active) and wire it in line to the start only function. That way it doesn't stay on once running but can power the device parallel the start.
It was a spare. It must remain on as it supplies the potential 12v source for the start and run circuits.