Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default New Radio Head Unit Suggestions and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradride View Post
jrings... you might want to start your own thread just not to confuse the two subjects....

In my humble opinion and I know others feel differently... Marine grade is for hard core shrimpers and the like... chances are your stereo is NEVER going to see water or even mist for that matter......I've been building boat audio systems for over 20 years and NEVER have had a normal car stereo fail, not even once.

All new stereos come with an included specific harness. You may have to make it work with your boat, but it will have one. The installation package is typically a kit to make it fit in various vehicles. Assuming you don't have a shafted radio... then you have a DIN, 7 by 2 inches. they will all work and you should need no "kit" because the sleeve that is included will accommodate the new unit.

As suggested I started a new thread in my quest to find a way to improve the sound in my 2004 2400SR Bowrider. I am looking to replace my current head unit with something newer that has preamp outs that would allow me to eventually add an amplifier. Some of the other features that sound interesting are USB outs, Bluetooth, Iphone/Android connectivity etc... I am not looking to be able to get stupid loud but I would like to be able to easily hear the radio while cruising... Any suggestions as far as brand or specific head units?

jrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

I'm not sure what USB outs are but a single USB input is invaluable in my option. They NEVER skip like CD's do. MP3 input is also awesome, same deal.. never skip and just adds more versatility.

You asked before if any head units put out enough power that you may not need an amp. The answer is.....that's totally up to you. If you are content with what you have then awesome. It's so subjective that there really is no definitive answer. My guess is because you are inquiring, you are not happy. So in your particular case.... the answer is probably no.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Lieutenant

UPDATE:
So I ended up getting a new radio to go along with the amp I am still intending on getting. While looking for amps I came across the radio linked below. On sale for $99 and found a code for another $20 off for a total of around $80 with free shipping. No CD (does anyone still actually put a cd in) but 2 usb inputs, bluetooth, pandora etc. and I couldn't pass it up. I will report back when I get it installed...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX5...T.html?tp=5684
Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Ensign

Jrings That is a steal, Do you still have the code for $20 off. Wanna share with the rest of us? Keep us posted with installation updates.
Shore Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Admiral

HEY!!!..I still use cd's!!!

I think I still have an 8 track or two somewhere in my garage!!

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Duty View Post
Jrings That is a steal, Do you still have the code for $20 off. Wanna share with the rest of us? Keep us posted with installation updates.
3A825 is the code. The code is good for $20 off a purchase of $100 or more so I bought this too. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575IECH...ation-Kit.html

I didn't really need it but it added $0.99 and made the coupon code valid. Bottom line is add the item above to your cart, add the radio and during checkout is asks if you have a code and you type in 3A825. All said and done with free shipping I paid $80.98... Let me know if you need more help to get it to work.

Joe
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrings View Post
UPDATE:
So I ended up getting a new radio to go along with the amp I am still intending on getting. While looking for amps I came across the radio linked below. On sale for $99 and found a code for another $20 off for a total of around $80 with free shipping. No CD (does anyone still actually put a cd in) but 2 usb inputs, bluetooth, pandora etc. and I couldn't pass it up. I will report back when I get it installed...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX5...T.html?tp=5684
WOW Sounds like a Great deal, It evin has a remote control which I really need since you have to be a Contortionist to just change the station.... Let us know how it hooks up and how it sounds! Ohhhhh don't forget pic's!!!

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote