Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to paradise2100sc Send a message via Yahoo to paradise2100sc
Default need help with wiring in general for my 91 maxum 2100 sc

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and pretty much boating in general. My dad gave me his 1991 Maxum 2100 sc that he was going to get rid of. I have had some trouble with installing a new radio and speakers. The old radio didn't work, but thought no big deal. I wired the new radio and didn't work. I have no power to the wiring, all fuses are good. Sometimes there is power, but then still not powering the radio. The courtesy lights aren't working either with new bulbs in them. My fuse panel doesn't say what circuit is what. Does anyone know where I can find any manuals or wiring schematic?

paradise2100sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Admiral

first off..welcome to the zoo....2nd is you can get the HIN number off the stern and contact Brunswick marine, they will probably have all the data right at thier finger tips.....look in the general forum for contact info.....

3rdly....be sure to take a boating safety course ..it helps in your knowledge and your insurance .....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to paradise2100sc Send a message via Yahoo to paradise2100sc

thanks for the info seapuppy
Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

No power to the radio. Couresty lights don't work. Then you state 'sometimes there is power'.

1) Does anything that works on 12V work? (Make a list of all things that require 12V, such as: Running Lights, anchor light, guage lights, cigarette lighter, stereo, drive trim, courtesy lights, etc). Try them all and see if anything works.

2) I assume the battery is showing 12V? Have you tried swapping batteries?

3) IS there a battery switch which is turned to OFF? This would account for no 12V.

4) HAve you used a Voltmeter to test the battery and individual circuits? It should show 12V at the battery, 12V at the battery switch and 12 V on the fuse bus.

5) Is there heavy corrosion on the wiring. If you run new 'test' lines from the battery to the device does it work?

Just a couple of thoughts.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Shrew, thank you for the suggestions. I haven't had much time this week to work on the boat with work. I have checked all the fuses and they are all good, and do have 12v at the circuits. I have been trying to find grounds to see if they are corroded, but haven't found any yet of than the ground at the fuse panel. I don't think there is a battery switch, only has 1 battery and yes everything else that requires 12v works. I have run wires from the battery to the radio and it works. It worked in my old mercedes 300ce.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Just remember that boats are mainly wood and fiberglass. You'll have to find a factory grounding point (and there should be one at the helm) or run a ground to the battery top complete any circuit.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Ran into a similar problem with my 1994 1800SR, the fuses "looked good, i.e not blown" but they had just enough corrosion to make power intermittent or not at all. Test fuses with a meter to be sure, also use a wire brush with a electrical contact cleaner to clean the fuse block. Let cleaner dry before applying power. Hope this helps!
cuzins101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #8

You're resurrecting a 2.5 yr old thread. The OP hasn't even logged on in almost 2 years.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Ha, didn't even look at the date! Sorry!

cuzins101 is offline   Reply With Quote