Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Nav light Replacement Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
welcome to the zoo...they are really held on pretty tight.....just kinda wiggle it and it will come off...may have to gently pry it off....

there are not many bulb types you can use on it...there are festoon type bulbs in most....led's are becoming quite popular as they use very little amperage and will last something like a bizillion hrs....
there are 2 sizes of festoons...large and small...that's about it...I'm guessing yours is the small ones.....

are you sure it's the bulbs.....could be the dc breaker on the main panel..check to see if the dc breaker is pushed out first....

SP
Kinda raising the dead with this post but I am having an issue regarding these bulbs. I have a 2002 2300 SC.
I too had to replace a bulb and had difficulty with the housing - which is now resolved - but I'll be damned if I cant find the correct bulb.
My boat is a 10 hr drive away and Im lucky if I get to it 3 times per summer. I seem to buy the wrong size bulb on memory every trip Last trip out I finally found a store that had the correct size (and I am pretty sure it said #75 - although this may have been an mfg number). I installed the bulb and no problems until that evening when I flip the switch and it no longer works. When I removed the housing I saw that the silver tip had fallen loose on one end. You think I could find the sister bulb that came in the package? Nada. I figure I would order some when I got home but when I punch in #75 nothing comes up.
The bulbs for this boat couldnt have been an inch long total length, so why cant I find th correct size on-line? Anyone know the tip-to-tip dimensions or bulb part number?

majbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Admiral

majbach,
I can't help you with the bulb size but I would recommend buying a new led fixture. Sounds like you have already spent enough time trying to find the correct bulb and with your drive not worth the effort to continue IMHO. Leds have a very long life so install the new fixture and be done.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
majbach,
I can't help you with the bulb size but I would recommend buying a new led fixture. Sounds like you have already spent enough time trying to find the correct bulb and with your drive not worth the effort to continue IMHO. Leds have a very long life so install the new fixture and be done.
LOL! I ronically, that's why I was asking as I cannot find LEDs less than 39 mm and there is no way the bulb I took out was that large.
majbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Admiral

I'll try to clairfy. I recommend replacing the entire light fixture (housing) see link.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50581

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

I was on the fence about the thread hijack, though you did acknowledge it and it was a closely related topic so I waited to see where it went. It looks like the original thread was more along the lines of HOW to open the light fixture and replace the bulb. This one is a bit more about the bulb itself. So.....I moved the posts to a new thread.

To mmwjr's point, sometime replacing the entire item is easier than replacing a hard to find component. Especially if it's fairly inexpensive. Another thing to keep in mind is whether your fresnels are smoked. Also another reason to consider replacing. LED's re brighter, much less amp draw, are impervious to breaking a filament from pounding and you will never replace an LED bulb in your lifetime because the duty cycle of the bulb will outlast the hull.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote