Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 1800MX blower motor & stereo

I have a 2007 Maxum 1800 MX I bought 'new' last summer. The blower motor is constantly blowing fuses (15 Amp, dealer installed though I noticed the owner's manual calls for a 5A fuse) or melting the fan. I've had it to the dealer for warranty coverage almost as many times as it's been on the water (4 times). They told me not to run the blower more than 3 minutes. I didn't and it managed to last a whole 2 minutes before it gave up again. I fairly sure they're not going to figure it out and I loose it for about 1-2 weeks every time I take it over there.

Now the stereo just quit working, it doesn't seem to be getting any power and the fuse is not blown. I don't know if the two are related. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

f16txang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Maxum 1800MX blower motor & stereo

This is not really help but with me using my boat on the river at the moment my blower is constantly on and runs fine, Sounds like you need a new blower as it should be continuously rated and if the dealer has fitted a 15amp fuse instead of a 5 amp I think you should find another dealer

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Yeah, if the dealer is just changing fuses, and over fusing things then they have no clue what they are doing; and are creating a possibly dangerous situation - Can anyone even confirm if the wiring is able to carry 15amps?! Without checking I'd be unsure but knowing Maxum I don't see them using a much thicker gauge wire than is necessary.

I suggest you have the wiring checked for shorts, and then look into either putting fresh wiring in (with an in line fuse @ the correct amperage) or trying a new blower (or both) - neither of which should run you more than $30 or so... It'd be a 10 min job to run new wiring to the switch on the dash and to the blower fan. Take the power feed off the battery directly as you want to be able to run the blower at anytime (like the bilge).

As Gazjen says - you should be able to run the blower indefinitely and if you have anything like a heater installed, I'd think about leaving it on whenever you're in the boat.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks fellas. The dealer actually put new blowers in twice now. I think I'm going to just rewire the thing myself as you recommend. Thanks!
f16txang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Admiral

Sounds like you have a serious short in the harness someplace...might wanna try and find it before it burns something to the waterline...

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

I have an intermittent problem with the stereo in my 1800MX and it turns out to be the stereo itself. Try pushing on different parts of the faceplate and see if the "power" magically comes on. With mine, if I push to the left of the CD player, it comes on and if I'm lucky it stays on.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

It still amazes me that the dealer would over rate it by three times. That could be really dangerous

Anyway, It could be the switch if the connection is poor it could be pulling extra current, if its easy to get to fit your 5 amp fuse back in and just connect the wires together that are on the back of the switch. I cant really see it being a short in the wiring loom unless its been messed about with or been overloaded and melted the insulation, If its not the switch check all connections along its run feel the cable and the connections see if they are warm and that will be your problem. Do that after its just blown a fuse try a 10 amp if your keeping a eye on it.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:10 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi I have a 2009 Maxum 1800 boat and my blower motor started blowing fuses as well mine has a 10 amp fuse in it as well... In fact all my fuses are 10 amp except one and pretty sure no one had tinkered with it so must be a 10 amp fuse... Did it the last time I was out blew the fuse but not till after i used it a few times on the water... Got home changed the fuse worked when I went out again...
Took it out tonight again fuse blew... Changed it and it works again..
Not sure what the problem is or was it just a fluke that the fuse I put in wasnt any good... Gonna have to check it out tomorrow see what I can figure out...
Squiddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

Corrosion on the wires or the connections. Corrosion prohibits the electrical flow. The device attempts to pull more power restricted by the corrosion. This causes draw between the device and the power source until the fuse blows. The fuse is doing its job protecting the circuit (wires).

Replace the blower. When you do, cut back the wires until you get to good, non-corroded wire. If the wire is very black and you can't cut back any more, then use the old wires to pull a new run of wires from the fuse to the device.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote