Old 09-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default JBL marine radio

I have a 2100SC and the JBL Marine radio that came installed in my 2004 boat has always been a source of irritation. Made in China, it does not use conventional wiring color codes, and that's just for starters. I replaced the first unit at the end of year one when it could not hold an AM radio station. The dealer thought it was a faulty unit and just installed a new radio. Now this year, the audio is dropping in and out,(Mostly out) No audio to rear speakers, and crackling distorted audio to the right front(Left front very low). Spinning the volume control round and round back and forth will sometimes cause the audio to come up, but mostly the amp seems to not put out. I have tapped on the bottom of the radio with the back of the screwdriver and achieved the same results. I tried the reset button but all that happens is that I lose the presets.

Two questions arise. Anyone else experience this? and is there another radio that I can substitute? I would like to keep the remote transom switch if I go to another manufacturer's radio.

Thanks for any assistance.
KKKKFL

Franco_2100SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Default radios

I've had radio's do that and about the only thing you can do is go into the circuit card and re-solder some of the wire connections...this is probably due to corrosion....but for me..I've had an alpine radio for yrs in my boat..the other one that is fairly good is kenwoods....but make suyre they are marine rated.....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Default thanks

Thanks for that reply.
The service rep at Prospec tells me that it cost 75 bucks for them to even open the mail, and I have never been satisfied with the performance, or lack thereof with the JBL.

What I think is the best course of action is to use the JBL as a boat anchor, and find another manufacturer that has a remote switch similar in size to the JBL. I realize AM reception is tough on the water, but the JBL stinks on ice.

Of the units you have used which one gave the best reception and had the best noise rejection?

KKKKFL
Old 09-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

On our Maxum I have a Yamaha Head unit, mounted a Blaupunkt amp in the cuddy and replaced the speakers with the Bose 131 marine speakers.

On the bigger boat- Jensen MCD 9425 - Great unit AM/FM/CD and Weather band! Also I have 3 LCD wired remotes - MRW 21s. It’s a 200w unit but I use the low level outputs to amps and its satellite radio ready.
alrightythen@iboatnw.com
3388sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Pioneer has alwas held up great for us. Something like the DEH-4800 sounds ideal for you.

Comes with an infra red remote control and you can purchase a deck mountable one for about 100 bucks.

I've got through many Pio head units now in different vehicles and boats. not had a single one fail on me.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Default replacement

I'm considering the Jensen line of audio equipment. I found that Jensen manufactures the MWR75 see:

http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail.ht ... 37c1d599d6

and this wired remote will fit on the transom, look good and require no additional cutting.

The only remaining question is how sturdy/reliable are Jensen products. I found that they were recently bought out by Audiovox, so thats a little shakey... What I really want to see is the back of the box to see where the components are assembled... won't have Chinese junk on my boat anymore.
KKKKFL
Old 10-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Commander

I have that JBL Marine unit in my 2006 and it's radio reception is crap. I hate radio though so I've burned a bunch of party mix CD's that we crank on the water.
I'm also dissapointed that it won't play MP3 burned CD's. It has the jack for an external MP3player but still.

I'm installing a wakeboard tower during the off season and mounting some tower speakers. Those puppies are going to require an amp. Now I have to figure out where to mount and amp on my lil' boat.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Lt. JG

I getting an 06 on the 13th of july. I was almost sure this radio would play MP3's My jaw is still on the floor from finding out it doesnt. The boat manufacturers are supposed to be selling fun, everyone listens to music in MP3 format. oh well I guess it'll be Booz, Babes and a Busted Radio.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Default radio/boat

EnsignBensen,

Where are you getting your boat? What size, and where you gonna keep it. I might be able to give you some tips..

KKKKFL
Old 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Hi Franco,

I'm going to keep it at the marina in Woodbridge. I am thinking of trying to find a number for maxum to call and see if this radio can be upgraded by them. I just want to see if they even support a MP3 option on any of their radios and what if anything I can do if they do not. Im interested in any suggestions.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Default woodbridge marina?

Woodbridge has 4 marinas (Prince william, hoffmasters, belmont bay, Fairfax yatch club)

If you don't have the trailer option, each has its benefits/detractions. Now about the radio. It is extremely doubtful that Maxum will swap radios. I've had little success with them in minor items. The will throw you a seat cushion at the drop of a hat, but that's been the best I've been able to get from them.

When I researched radios, I found a host of different names, but the guts of the radios were all identical. The key is where is it manufactured, if the box says "made in China" move on. You will pay a little more initially, but going for non Chinese junk will keep you from constantly replacing the head unit. I think the best bang for the buck is the Clarion model, but be careful as they manufacture a model that is a non standard size, and you want to slide out the JBL and slide in the new radio.

Finally, I keep my boat in the Occoquan St. Park. Just can't beat the low storage fee that includes boat launch fees. True the numb skulls that you will see on any given weekend at the ramp are cause for amusement, and there is that long "No Wake", but you will have that with all the marinas except Belmont bay.

KKKKFL
Old 10-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
Ensign

Question

JBL has come a long way with their speakers. I have a pair of JBL 6.5"s and a JBL woofer hooked up to my Fusion stereo head with a 1000 W amp... top quality sound. They've lasted me a few years now.

My fusion's been giving me some problems lately, considering swapping it out for one of the JBL stereos: https://citimarinestore.com/en/495-j...-sound-systems. If anyone has experience with their stereos, and if they have any recommendations (from this brand or other), I'm all ears.

I won't be going cheap on the stereo head, but also don't want to go too crazy... any advice is appreciated, thanks
SummerBreeze83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Wow last prior response to this one was 14+ years ago!

This past summer I replaced a Clarion CD head unit in my runabout with a Fusion MS-RA70, and the JBL w/ cabinet mounted CD changer in my 3300 with a NMEA enabled Fusion (MS-RA70N). The JBL had soft touch plastic on it that had deteriorated to where it got sticky, part of the faceplate had detached due to deteriorated glue, and the CD changer had stopped working (not that I had used it much anyway). Hope I don't end up having issues with Fusion like you did. I love the Fusion units - they work great. On the runabout I'm running a couple of external amps, and on the Maxum I'm just using the internal 4x50 split into 2 zones (radar arch speakers in cockpit, and interior speakers mounted in the fore v birth bulkhead). When I went to the NYC boat show, all the high end stuff they were showing used Fusion for their entertainment systems. Liked what I saw so I figured I'd give them a shot. They seem to be well made.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #14
Ensign

Thank you for the feedback. Came across this thread on Google, and felt it'd be a good place to ask the question lol...

That doesn't sound like too great of an experience with your JBL... maybe now, being that everything is bluetooth (without CD's), maybe stereos last longer in general? To be fair to my Fusion, had it for going on 7 or 8 years, and it's taken a beating.

Your NYC boat show experience is giving me something to think about... if they all used Fusion, must be something there. Reason I'm leaning towards JBL is because it will match the speakers. Maybe they "communicate" better... make sure they match up power wise. But this could just a nonsense theory... thanks again
Old 10-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #15
Lieutenant

My 2006 came with this radio installed by the previous owner:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_822PRV...SAAEgL5tfD_BwE

I like it so far, no issues but the only thing I cant figure out is if it can work with the remotes on both the stern and the instrument panel. They both light up but do nothing when you change the volume.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Ensign

Nice... a JBL.

Appreciate the input. Will ask them about the remote issue, see what they say.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #17
Lieutenant

For reference these are the remotes I have installed, one is black on the dash the other is white on the stern, both light up red so they are getting power but other then that nothing else:

https://maxmarineelectronics.com/pro...e-us-shipping/
Old 10-26-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Ensign

That's helpful. Thank you my friend.