Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Inverter Issue

The 99 3000 SCR I purchased has a Xantrex 1750 Prowatt Inverter. no manual with the boat, but easy enough to find online. This is NOT a marine inverter, I have learned. When I fire it up, the REVERSE POLARITY light on the panel lights up. I have checked connections and all seems in order there. Ideas?

I can run the coffee maker off the inverter, no issues, but am uncomfortable with that red light glowing. So if there isn't a reasonable fix, I am considering replacing it with a marine inverter. For any 3000SCR owners with a marine inverter....what model did you go with and where did you install it? The Xantrex on board is in the aft-most cabinet on the port side. It could accommodate a larger inverter, but i don't know how much larger. I welcome your observations.

Thanks,

LanikaiMike

LanikaiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Admiral

So the inverter has a reverse polarity light, correct. Are you using it with or without the engine running?

Something is wrong but I do not think has anything to do with not being a marine unit.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Is the shore power plugged in at the same time you're using the inverter? The shorepower should provide direct 120 VAC power to the panel. The inverter will do so by inverting 12VDC from the battery to 120 VAC to the panel. You should not be sending 120VAC to the panel from both the shorepower and the inverter simultaneously.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks for the questions: The invert has an AC cable, whin in turn is plugged into a shore-power type end, which I then plug into the boat's shore power receptacle. I have only run the inverter with the engines off. I have only used the inverter setup on the hook - no shore power present. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

LanikaiMike
LanikaiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Admiral

Not sure I am following you.

Are you saying the output of the inverter has a plug that you are connecting to the input shore power on the boat?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Marine AC electrical system neutral wires are grounded differently than shore side system. This can cause reverse polarity problems with generators or inverters that have a floating neutral. Check for that, and if your inverter has a floating neutral, ground it.

ertyqway is offline   Reply With Quote