Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Installing in hull transducer in scr2300

Greetings and Happy Holidays
I will be installing a in hull adjustable transducer in my SCR2300 in the spring. I have several questions that other owners may be able to help me with. First , the manufacturer recommends installing in solid hulls only and not in cored areas. How do you know if the location you believe is best is not cored? Has anyone with the same boat model installed one of these and where did they install it. There is a transducer mounted already for the in-dash digital depth finder located on the starboard side close to the keel just fore of the engine. I was thinking the next best location would be directly across to port just fore of the engine. Does this make sense?
They also say to measure the deadrise angle and I'm not sure how this is done. Again, if anyone has performed this installation perhaps they remember the angle in question. Once I have this information I feel I should be able to complete the installation as it seems quite straight forward.
thanks for any assistance you might be able to offer.

ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Admiral

Cruiser..
it's really easy with your boat...it's not cored.....it's got about 5/16-1/2" of fiberglass back at the engine bay.....so...if your wanting to put a shoot thru xdcr ..you won't have any problems.....if you look at the stern of the boat at the transom...the angle of the hull from horizontal is the dead rise angle...so..from a horizontal plain....measure the angle to the hull....it should be about 19Degs .....(if my memory is correct)....

so...here's how we did ours....you can get a 4" dia. pvc pipe section about 4-6" long....silicone glue or epoxy that thing to the bottom of the engine bay, of course after you cut the bottom to match the angle of the hull dead rise....ie 19degs...this should let the pipe sit at about straight up pointing your xdcr straight down......once the tube is solid...then you fill the pipe up with light mineral oil...and you can drill a hole for the wire to go thru the cap your going to install .....silicon seal the wire where it comes thru the cap..a nd insert the xdcr into the oil, careful not to spill everything in there.....that's about it...the oil will act as a medium and transfer the sound into the water ..the water will xfer the sound to the bottom and bounce back to the xdcr.......

some people just poured a blob of silicone sealant to the bottom of the xdcr and stuck it to the hull....that will work but it's not the recommended way to do it....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Admiral

Cruser.....I am curious why you haven't considered a transom mount transducer? Much easier to install and IMHO you can get a better reading at higher speeds. There is a way to glue the t-ducer on without any below the water line holes too.

I hate to bring this show up all the time but Ship Shape TV had a show on a while back about doing what you want to do...mounting a transducer through the hull.

Whatever you decide this spring you have plenty of time to figure out the correct method...

Good Luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I guess I just don't like putting holes in a boat. I already purchased the transducer and it came with a mounting adaptor to facilitate installation but still seemed somewhat confusing. Never saw ship shape tv: is this available on fios?
thanks,
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Admiral

do a google search or youtube for shipshapetv....they really did some good stuff on boats....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Ensign

Great Post...thanks for sharing the knowledge, as I look to performing this exact task myself soon.

2001 - 2300SC

Shore Duty is offline   Reply With Quote