Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Commander

Thanks imrich but i have been looking at these items and run into the following problems, A: The dual tops are power sharing, this means that you have 0-10 power settings on each and only 10 can be achieved in total, so if cooker one is on at 7 then cooker two can only be put onto 3, this i could see being a problem when say frying a steak and boiling vegies at the same time, B: Problem for me is almost all the items of this nature on Amazon and etc will not ship internationally so I cant order them anyway.
I have made some enquiries with a manufacturer "cooktek" to custom make me one but im sure that "COSTOM" = $$$$$$$$$$$, but will have to see, will keep you posted.

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
Lt. Commander

Huddo007, I understand and agree!

I have an induction cooktop at home. Mine isn't the most expensive and I can only use one side (two burners on the left) or the other side (two burners on the right) at full power at the same time, but I have never had an issue. Usually I use full power to get to a boil, and then lower the power significantly to maintain a boil. Then I can use full power on the other side to sear steak, etc. So in practice, such a limitation is not as much problem as I initially thought it would be.

My guess is that on a boat, the 115VAC is the limiting factor. So perhaps you could find a way to install two of the single burner units in your boat? Just do your own custom cabinet to hold the two units? I'm sure they would come out of their outer shell and mount side-by-side easily.

Knowing the safety aspects of an induction cooktop, along with it's cooking quality, I'm very surprised that all boats don't use them! I have to wonder if they could be made to easily work on DC power too!

The safety aspects alone would be a plus for any boat as they don't get physically hot unless a ferrous pan is on top of them (actually only the pan itself gets hot), even if left on at full power, and they will usually turn themselves off in short order if they don't detect a ferrous pan on the burner. At home I often place a dish towel between my pan and the cooktop if I'm cooking something that can splatter, this makes clean up easy! But it demonstrates how safe an induction cooktop is!

Now add the wonderful heat control (cooking quality) and you have a great combination!

Good luck on your quest!

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I'm tempted to guess that the limitation isn't so much the voltage (110/120) but instead the amperage draw. It's possible that when both burners are on 10 the unit will draw more amperage than the circuit (breaker, wiring, etc) is designed to deliver so the manufacturer designs the limitation into the unit for safety.

I'm in the middle of a major kitchen remodel. When I looked at induction I found the things are power hungry - requiring 240V @ 40A.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Commander

Wow, 40A @ 240v? That is a lot of power. That is 80A at 120v so no wonder they want 240v on it.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

You are right, it is the current! But at 115V, they need double the current that a 240V unit would need (I * E = W). So I guess I was implying that at 115V the boat's wiring may not have enough current to power all units at full power at the same time.

On the other hand, a single unit only draws 15A max, so if you had two of them at 15A each, that's 30A. I'm not sure why they can't do that in a single package. Probably because most 115V outlets are rated at 15A max, so a two burner unit would require two outlets that are fed from separate breakers.

Look at one of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6218137607P

This thing is just begging to have two of them (each one is just 13 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches) installed side-by-side in your boat's galley. Then you will have a two burner Induction cooktop for about $160!

Rich
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Admiral

well..my concern would be overloading the main breaker...remember that thing only has 30a max before it pops......2x 15a would be 30a and would overload the entire boat circuit.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

Yes, you have to manage your power...

Rich
Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
Commander

IMrich - IM DOING IT! - the link you gave me ships to Australia, im going to build a cabinet myself and install, will post all pics along the way, as mentioned its just a case of management, the best bit with doing the dual is I can wire them on seperate circuts in the boat as not to over load one
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
Commander

OK well I thought they shipped to Australia but sadly im very very wrong, will keep hunting
Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo007 View Post
IMrich - IM DOING IT! - the link you gave me ships to Australia, im going to build a cabinet myself and install, will post all pics along the way, as mentioned its just a case of management, the best bit with doing the dual is I can wire them on seperate circuts in the boat as not to over load one
Be sure to show pictures of your project! I wish I had a better name on here, as the 'ImRich Induction Cooktop' doesn't sound so snazzy! LOL

I'm sure you will find someone that will ship to Australia, or even find some locally there.

I'm anxious to see how it works for you! Best of luck!

Rich