Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default How to install Inverter and which to get

I have a 2400 SCR and am wanting to run microwave and other electronics on power while disconnected from Shore power. I don't have a generator so trying to figure out what to get and how to install it to be able to run electronics with enough power to run microwave off of it. Thanks for any information

Nauti Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

I would start by looking at 3 things:

1) What is the wattage of the devices you want to run?

2) How many devices do you want to run at the same time?

3) What is amp draw of the devices you want to run?

4) How many amp hours are available in your house battery.

5) What types of electrical devices do you want to run?

Inverters are greawt for converting 12v from the house battery to 110v for devices such as outlets. However they can be extremely ineffecient. Essentially the amps consummed in the conversion are far greater than the amps drawn by teh device. I would not attempt to run the hotwater heater or the fridge off of the inverter. Fridge works off of 12V automatically when the fridge shore power circuit is off. The hotwater heater is more than likely connected to the cooling of the engine. You can always fire up the enigne and let it heat the hot water. Get a 12v LED TV. LED uses much less power. A 12V tv will not have the amp loss that a regular LED tv running through an inverter will have. Just a couple of thoughts.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Shrew, any ideas on where to find a 12v LED TV. All the LED's from the big manufacturers seem to be 110v these days.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Admiral

https://www.google.com/#q=12v+led+tv...38ca0d22cdee7e
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

Nice thanks Philbo!!! In reality, MOST LCD and LED tv's are already 12v. The 'brick' esentially acts like an inveter to begin with, which is why i suggested simply going straight to a 12V tv. Going from 12V battery to an inveter to 110V, then essentially back to 12V through the brick for the TV is a huge waste of valuble Amp Hours. Coffee Makers, Toasters, Microwaves, all have large amp draw, but for fairly short periods of time. A smal 1 cup Keureg would more than likely be more efficient than a traditional burner type coffee maker. I use a percolator which can be run on the alcohol stove, or even a grill.

The electric stove, hot water heater, battery charger, and electrical outlets are the only things that run on a dedicated 110V circuit. Obviously you wouldn't run the battery charger off an inverter to charge the batteries. This really leaves stove, outlets, and water heater. I hope this helps.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

LED TV's don't have the bricks anymore. They are all 110v except the obscure (and tiny) brands noted in the Google result.
I will keep looking but I have not been able to find a mid-sized 12v LED from a name brand with all the latest features such as HDMI (so I can connect Apple TV and Neflix).
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Admiral

How big do you need ?

Looks like Jensen carries a 32"

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...age=2&sort=20a
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Most newer tvs - LED and LCD use 12 and 5 volt logic circuits to run if it is older (read out of factory warranty) a tech can actually bypass the 110V in that, like shrew said is really just changed back down
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Shoulda looked at top of thread better too.... A microwave... it does need 110V to run the electron gun don't know of any made for 12v, hmmmm.... Check the wattage of your microwave, stay small if you can.. then look for inverter that puts that out at 80% of its rating. ie 800W micro = 1000W inverter. This ensures that the inverter isn't running "all out". if you want it power more than as said above add things and again go through 80% calculation for inverter rating.