Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Help on AC Panel and Usage

OK, since moving up to a bigger boat like the 3300 the whole electrical system is very new to me. So here are my questions. I think I attached the picture correctly. The 2 breaker handles labeled Line 1 and Line 2, are they the main breakers for the power? Next, the Source Selector dial has Ship, Off and Shore. Is this the dial I change to move from shore power to generator power? If I am out of the dock and choose not to use the genny do I keep this dialed to Off? Next, what is the purpose of the AC Volt meter? Finally is there a proper procedure when moving to and from shore power?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Panel.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	3723

rip131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Default Sorry, here's a larger picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141017_142831.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	3724Sorry, here's a larger picture.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Captain

Rip,

You are right on the switches. The volt meter can help you determine if the current is safe to use.

For instance, if you plug in to a dock, and the volt meter pegs, there is something wrong with their voltage and you do NOT want to turn on any of your systems, as it might destroy circuits.
It can also help you identify an overloaded generator, or a generator voltage issue.

To hook to shore power: plug in cables, switch the switch to shore. Check for green power available lights, then turn on lines 1 and 2. Then turn on your breakers for individual circuits one at a time.

Turning off is the reverse, turn off individual breakers first, then lines, then shore switch.

For generator, start it, then switch to "Ship", then lines, then items. With the generator it is VERY important that you click individual loads off first, before switching lines. Load changing too fast can damage the generator circuits.

Always run your blower before starting the Gen.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Kevin is correct except the volt meter tells you the shore power voltage is correct not the current as a volt mete knows nothing about current. Current is the amp draw.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Big help guys! I appreciate it as I don't mind saying it is a little overwhelming.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
Admiral

Rip....I have asked this question before with new owners that are clueless in OP procedures or just learning a new boat , but who in the heck sold you this boat and for the love of god what did they not explain any of this to you. I can't tell you how many questions I had with my salesman and surveyor showing me how to do this or that and taking some notes. What happen here?

I am glad you have asked the questions about the OP procedures and glad we can answer all this for you.

If your new boat purchase came from a dealer they have to have the worst customer service dept. on the planet...even if you got this from a private seller, not spending time with you to go through everything ...what a jerk.

Rip keep them coming. We are here to help each other.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Kevin is correct except the volt meter tells you the shore power voltage is correct not the current as a volt mete knows nothing about current. Current is the amp draw.

thanks, that was a typo... Lol. I DO know that....
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Admiral

Maybe it was a private sale.... Not all boats are purchased through a dealer.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Several things in play here. First, while the sales price and contingencies have all been agreed to by both the me and the seller, I have not taken delivery yet. Second, it is a private sale and as a result I have not met nor do I believe I will meet the seller. Third, the broker has been involved and perhaps at delivery I will get more information but somehow I feel it will be limited. Next, I did have the boat surveyed but I limited my questions to those items he was inspecting on the boat as I felt like I should maximize his time looking at those things that I could not. Last, my uncle has owned 18 boats and is a licensed USCG captain so I can always rely on him for actual "hands on" learning and experience. Everyone on here seems so helpful that I would pick everyone's brains on here!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Admiral

rip I am sure all here are willing to help so ask away, however I agree that the broker should be helpful if asked.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Captain

Rip....please ask away!!!! There are no stupid questions! This board can be a wealth of info! Please try to find as much info u can thru the search functions, but I can tell you that the search will supply limited info depending on wording....Jesse

Ps please PM me if you do not want to post a question!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Admiral

Yes by all means ask away......

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote