Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Generator for 95 2400 scr

NEW BOAT OWNER HERE. JUST PURCHASED 95 2400 SCR FROM FLORIDA AND BROUGHT IT TO NORTH MISSISSIPPI. HAD IT TWO DAYS AND TOOK IT TO SARDIS LAKE. BOAT RUNS GREAT, ALL ELECTRICAL PERFECT. COULDNT BE HAPPIER. FELLA I BOUGHT IT FROM, GAVE ME A DROP IN A/C UNIT FOR THE BOAT, BUT MY WIFE WANTS TO USE IT WHEN WE ANCHOR IN COVES AT SARDIS, PICKWICK, OR GREERS FERRY. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TYPE AND HOW LARGE A PORTABLE GENNY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. ALSO, DO I NEED TO SERVICE THE BOAT IN ANY WAY TO TRANSITION FROM SALT WATER TO FRESH? THANKS AGAIN JB

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Generator for 95 2400 scr

welcome to the zoo...first off ..what kind of drop in AC unit...??..the kind that sits in the fwd hatch??..

if so..then I'd get a honda portable Genny and mount it to the swim step.......keep in mind that you won't want to sleep in the mid berth with this thing running due to the safety aspects of it.........

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Re: Generator for 95 2400 scr

I have the Honda 2000eu portable genny and love it. We use it on the 97' 2800 scr and it is capable of running everything but the a/c at the same time. Or the a/c and charger only! I have a 9000 btu a/c and the start up amps are not high enough to trip the genny. You should be fine with the drop in.

Check with multiple Honda dealers and also check online at honda power equipment http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...elid=EU2000IAN

They normally run the 12 months no payments / no intrest deal a couple of times per year, and most of the dealers will give you this deal away. Great Genny, you would really like it, very quiet too.

I normally place the genny in my zodiac at night and tie it down so it cannot tip over or turn. Otherwise, just throw it on the swim platform. Plus I recommend a GOOD CO detector for anyone using a gen set of any type! Be safe!

As far as using in salt water, if you are going to keep it in the water all the time then you are going to need the bottom painted with a good Ablative bottom paint (Micron CSC is what I use, expensive but lasts a couple of years at a time.) If you dry sail it or trailer it, just fresh water rinse and wash it every time you use it. I would also make sure that you have good zincs on the drive unit, saltwater will accelerate the normal corrosion you get (Especially if you have a SS prop.) If your motor is raw water cooled you will also want to purchase a flush kit and flush the drive and cooling system if the boat is going to sit for any length of time out of the water. Saltwater is very harsh on the boat, motor, and drive if you dont take preventative actions. Very costly too!