Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Fuel flow meter / gauge

Anybody recommend a stand alone fuel flow meter / gauge?

I've seen these Floscan like linked below, they just arent very cool and still nearly $300
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...6&merchID=4006

njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

njones:
that's the exact one I had installed in my 2600SE. It works great and in fact it was instrumental in alerting me to an engine problem (fuel consumption jumped from a norm of 12 GPH to 20 GPH). Once I calibrated it, I found it to be very accurate ... within a fraction of a gallon on a 30 gallon fill.

There are digital models that look more impressive, but they are much more $$$$.

iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

Lightbulb

Hey njones,

Although Bella's isnt a stand alone, Her Northstar Explorer 660 GPS/Fish finder Combo is equipped with the opt. fuel kits (I have twins so I installed one on each mill) that gives you extremely accurate (once calibrated like iceman indicated) fuel flow and computes the best rpm/speed to run based on the current conditions you are underway at. The 660 goes one step further than GPH by analyzing not just the fuel flow but gives you real time information (for each engine) such as current GPH, MPG, miles - gallons - and total estimated range till empty at current speed, total gallons used as well as graphs that are generated during your run that give you the suggested best RPM to run at in order to get the best mileage. All in one compact unit that is extremely versatile. I can guarantee you that the unit has saved me tons of money by always knowing what cruise RPM to run to get the best mileage (and it does change according to the water/wind conditions too). Specially when boats are so fuel thirsty. So if you haven't invested in a GPS/ Fish finder combo yet or you may want to upgrade your current one to the 660 its a fantastic addition to any Helm.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

http://www.northstarnav.com/Products.../Explorer-660/
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I'm afraid i made the mistake of purchasing a Garmin 431s chartplotter with the intentions of picking up the optional gfs10 fuel meter to go with it. I spent too much time researching getting a marine radio that would work with it and provide bi directional dsc communication and too little time on it's network capability. I just now found that a 400 series of GPS will do it, but my particular model 431s is not NMEA 2000 or CANet compatible. So i either have to sell my GPS unit and repurchase a different model, or purchase a stand alone system. I'm really bummed over this.

I'm seeing all over the place a Navman Fuel 2100 product thats sounds like what i want and for a good price, but cant find anywhere to purchase it in the states. Wasnt sure if company has changed hands again and being marketed under another name or not made anymore.
http://www.navmanmarine.net/Navman/T...n.aspx?id=6458

I actually think i just found it on the site you sent me bella. I guess maybe Northstar bought navman and its now a F210 instead of fuel 2100 or maybe it's the other way around.
http://www.northstarnav.com/Products...ent/F210-Fuel/

Anybody know where to buy whatever the brand is now?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #5

Hey Njones

Sorry you have a little buyers remorse there. Garmin make one hell of a product (and I looked at all of their stuff) but I wanted a true all in one GPS / Chartplotter / Fishfinder / Fuel computer unit (at a reasonable price) so I went with the 660.

Northstar products were marketed in the USA up to March of 2008 under the brand name Navman, after that Northstar only like the rest of the world. It is a Kiwi (New Zealand based Company from what I heard). But anyway, you won't regret the Fuctionality of the Northstar F210, from what it sounds like in the ad copy.

Know that you will have to add an additional Fuel pre-filter that is not included in the Fuel meter Kit that you will buy and install. I installed (two, one each mill) Parker marine spin on units that filter beyond the max partical micron size limit. Without it the Fuel transducer can clog since the fuel flows through what is like small turbo fan that acts a sender unit to the meter. Once their clogged, their junk, and you will have to install a new one plus the cable to the head unit (not fun).

Good Luck with your fuel meter project, your're gonna love knowing your flow!
Bella Sera

P.S. This place sells them for $139.00??? thats a steal!! http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xca...l_Display.html
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks so much for the info Bella, Unfortunately, like the rest of the retailers i've found. Throw that part in the cart to buy and get a "unavailable product." All the others are all "out of stock" or "discontinued."

This unit by all reviews i've read is a good piece and your right about the price being a steal. Can't imagine how it's not a best seller and available everywhere.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #7

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/gasmodels.php
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njones View Post
Thanks so much for the info Bella, Unfortunately, like the rest of the retailers i've found. Throw that part in the cart to buy and get a "unavailable product." All the others are all "out of stock" or "discontinued." This unit by all reviews i've read is a good piece and your right about the price being a steal. Can't imagine how it's not a best seller and available everywhere.
You're right. I wonder why?? Here is another comparable one from Faria which is the OEM brand of gauges found in maxums. For about the the same price as the F210 (or less than half the one that Shrew suggested). I have bought a ton of stuff from Defender and their a great outfit to do business with.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...726&id=1620686
Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
(or less than half the one that Shrew suggested). http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...726&id=1620686
Uh.....Technically, I didn't actually suggest anything. I tossed up a link to Floscan for Gas engines. I simply tossed the Floscan site up there since the OP indicated he wasn't crazy about the sepcific model from Overton's. Just trying to make sure we're aware there are more options out there.

I'm sure Faria is nice too, however Floscan is specifically in the fuel flow meter business, while Faria is in the Guages business. Take it FWIW
Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Uh.....Technically, I didn't actually suggest anything. I tossed up a link to Floscan for Gas engines.
Uh yeah, like Clinton said he didn't inhale...... instead he sucked!!! Hey Shrew, gotta boating question for ya since your're the super moderator; whats the definition of a nice boat??
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
.....whats the definition of a nice boat??
Certainly not a moderator but let's not derail Mr. Jones' thread.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Eye Eye Dan. parish the thought. oh and before I forget.....

A: Any boat bigger than yours. ;-)

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Getting back on subject....

I just purchased one of these http://www.tigergps.com/lowrancelmf400wo.html

It is a Lowrance LMF-400, with it I also purchased the fuel meter, the tank level sensor, temperature and speed (paddle wheel) sensor. I thought about getting just a fuel flow sensor but thought it would be nice to monitor other things too. I like electronic gagets!

Terry
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
Lieutenant

thats a cool piece tj! thanks for sharing!

It just stinks so bad cause I have all of that data available on my garmin. My burn rate data is all that i'm missing. The Garmin tech support responded to me that because my particular model out of the 400 series has inland lakes maps built in, that there really isnt a need to have the CANet or NMEA 2000 communications. I find that very strange, as if a person who just uses rivers and lakes, instead of coastal, wouldn't want to monitor fuel flow or connect to other devices? I'm so disappointed.

I think im going to give that Faria a go.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Quote:
A: Any boat bigger than yours. ;-)

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Sorry Bella, I really did like that answer!
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwieseler View Post
Sorry Bella, I really did like that answer!
Thanks tj, I'll bet Shrew thinks of it each time he steps aboard his tub this summer! LOL, JK of course!....

That Lowrance LMF-400 is one dandy meter (and one hell of a price too for all that it can do). Bout the only thing it can't do is tell you what marina has the best the price on gas!

One other tip on mounting the Fuel transducer is they must be mounted truly vertical, not horizontal (at all). Somthing about how air can get trapped in them and make them cavitate. I ended up mounting all the Fuel pre-filter canisters and the Transducers on a sheet of uhmw plastic with eared hose clamps making everything very tidy and safely held in place screwed to a bulkhead. Better to be extra careful when dealing with fuel line modifications. I'll post a picture of my engine room install when I open Bella's shrink wrap door sometime this weekend.

Good Choice there njones, The Faria looks to be a slam dunk too. Again theres nothing better than having a Fuel tool at the helm.

Enjoy your weekend everybody, (even you Shrew!)

Bella Sera
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #17

Thanks Bella.