Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Follow up on Reverse Polarity

2003 2700 SCR 5.7 bravo 3 last night I started at the power tower on the dock and worked my way all the way to the control panel. I tightened every wire I could get to. The reverse polarity light on the panel went out. YEAH Came back this morning no warning light on YEAH.

Installed new battery charger a Pronautic 1230, Installed new starter and deep cell battery. Battery Switch always in OFF position and battery charger breaker on control panel OFF. During hooking all the wires up I went below to get a water and notice warning light was blinking. DARN

With DC switches in the OFF position I checked all wire connections one by one. Then I realized What I am doing is completely isolated from the 110 system that is having the reverse polarity problem. I am I right?

I played with the shore power plug switch between shore power 1 & 2. The warning light is NOT on when I am hook to shore power 2 the right side of the panel only on shore power 1 . It also seems to just stop blinking. When it is blinking it blinks a loy when the fridge is on.

What should I look at? Could the shore power 1 plug be bad? HELP

Penns Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Captain

the second 110v plug is only for the A/C unit.

So trip that breaker off on the panel then try it.

The 12v system will not light up the red/green bar panel on the power display, that is for 110v only.

you need to move the boat to another dock, and plug it in with a buddies extention cord.

110v in the boat rarely fails.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I will try another extention cord today and another power tower. If is funny that the problem seems to come and go. Last night it was flashing then I shut all breakers off and turned them on one by one. I could see a faint red glow on the reverse polarity light with only the shore power on and no other breakers turned on. When I turned on the fidge the light became bright and flashed and needle bounced. Then when I turned on the A/C breaker with the fidge on it seemed to stop flashing and went to a light glow. I repeated this several times and if happened everytime. do you think the fidge is going bad? we had a windlass installed over the winter and the guy ran the wires behind the fidge. could that be a cause? could he of loosen a wire on the fidge?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Admiral

he could have pinched or scrapped some insulation thus causing a short...might wanna check that out...pull the fridge out...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Captain

the fridge and windless are all 12v battery power, as nothing to do with the 110v panel in the cabinet.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

My fridge has both 110VAC and 12VDC going to it. So it could affect the AC lines.

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Captain

yes, your right..... i stand corrected, its a dual power unit like a RV.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Lt. JG

THANK YOU all for your input. Here's what I found. I checked the voltage on the breakers on the control panel. Shore power #1 only had 117V Shore power #2 had 122V. Although the panel reads "Reverse Polarity" in actuality it was LOW voltage. I connected the shore power plug #2 black & white wires to breaker shore power #1 on the panel and #1 to #2 breaker. Everything working fine (almost) I attach the power cord into Shore Power #2 plug now.

Why I say "almost" is I think some type of power surge (maybe lightening) happen while I was away from the boat for two weeks. Three difference systems all effected.

1. Shore power #1 plug bad (will replace)
2. Hot Water heater not working (will check this week)
3. The VacuFlush system is running all the time. Would only run after a flush for a while. How will not shut off.