Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Ensign

Default depth gauge in year 2000 1900 sc

Hi,

i just bought a 1900 sc of the year 2000. last weekend we made our first private test drive to get familiar with the boat. when we wanted to drop anchor in a pretty shallow area we hit the ground three times very light with the prop and tale of the outdrive (just sand and without any speed) but while happening we still had reading on the meter around 1.6 or something. can you guys tell me what this meter tells me? is it in meters of feet? is it measured from the transducer or is the tale length taken off already?

and is it possible to change settings yourself? most depth gauges have a round exterior with a display and some buttons. in this boat there is only a square display in the dash with the reading. nothing more.

so if any of you have some answers for me i really would like to hear.

Greetings Eric
Attached Thumbnails
15829-6_800x600.jpg  

dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Eric,
I have a similar depth gauge on my 1997 SCR and it doesn't have any buttons to adjust the transducer offset. The reading is in feet from the transducers mounted location. My boat does have a button to set depth alarm that you can set to sound at a minium depth you are confortable with. If it was reading 1.6 feet and your boat draws about 3 feet at the water line then yep the prop and skeg (fin/tale on bottom of the outdrive) will touch bottom.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

It's in feet. However I would double-check whether that depth sounder is configured to offset for actual depth or for draft. The transducer is fairly close to the keel and very far back near the transom. It is well under the actual depth. However it is also much higher than the bottom of the skeg on your drive. SOME depth sounders can be configured to offset it's actual reading to give you actual depth, or actual draft.

In other words, it can be calibrated to read exactly how much distance between the botton the skeg to the floor, or from the transducer to the floor or the surface of the water to the floor.

Mine does not allow configuring of offsets. Actual depth is handy when comparing to readings on charts and determining scope when anchoring. Draft allows you to determine exactly how much water between you and your running gear.

I would measure from transducer to water like and from transducer to skeg, then measure the actual depth of the water and determine what you'r actually reading on the display.

I'd bet that 18 inches is transducer to skeg which is way to skinny to operate.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi guys,

thanks for the reply. as soon as the weather will be better is will put the boat in and test this stuff out.

Greetings Eric
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Mike,

can you tell me how to set the depth alarm with this button? i have the same button on the dash for the depth alarm. i thought it was to kill the depth alarm sound if it would sound when i would want to beach the boat or something. and will it keep the setting for ever for that depth unless i decide to change it or do i need to set it every time i start the engine?

greetings Eric
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Admiral

Hi Eric,
to be honest I have never used it on this boat, I just avoid water less than 3 feet. On a previous boat I had an aftermarket depth gauge that had the same feature but with 2 buttons 1 to lower the setting 1 to increase it so I am assuming this works similar but I will check it out the next time I get to the boat. I believe it switch is a rocker and pushing down decreases the setting while pushing up increases it. Anybody out there have any experience using this feature?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Commander

On my 1996 2100SR it works like this:
1 switch turns the depth finder On and Off (simple on/off rocker switch)
1 switch turns the alarm On and Off and adjusts the alarm depth (momentary On rocker switch).
So for the Alarm switch, if I press it to On and let go, it return to Off (like a Horn switch)
Doing this turns the alarm on and if I press the switch again, turns it off again.
If I press the alarm button and hold it in the On position, the alarm depth starts changing.
It starts at 3ft and then goes to 4, 5, 6, etc... as I hold it On.
Once released it is now set.
Then do quick On presses to enable or disable the alarm again (the depth it is set to will hold at this point)

Now if I turn off the entire depth finder (with the On/Off switch) and then turn it back on again, it will reset the depth setting of the alarm and will turn the alarm off again (if it was on).

Hope this helps!
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Here's your owners manual (at least the one from my 1999 3200SCR) - http://www.standardhorizon.com/downl...pplication/pdf

ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Ensign

hi, thanks guys for all your feedback. as soon the weather clears up i will try to dive back into it again. the calendar says it is spring over here but if i did not know any better i would state for late fall. 8 degrees celcius, windy, rain and even a lot of hail a few nights back. a few years ago we already had some days around 30 degrees (also not normal)
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcurra View Post
Here's your owners manual (at least the one from my 1999 3200SCR) - http://www.standardhorizon.com/downl...pplication/pdf

Here is a beautiful example of why I keep harping about the boat Owners Manual beign useless. 9.9 times out of 10 you would be looking at the manual of the manufacturer of the device, not the generic MAxum boat owners manual.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Here is a beautiful example of why I keep harping about the boat Owners Manual beign useless. 9.9 times out of 10 you would be looking at the manual of the manufacturer of the device, not the generic MAxum boat owners manual.
Oh absolutely. The Maxum owners manual is way too generic - keep the pointy end forward, the engines toward the back.... But I can appreciate how it must be because every boat may have different accessories, even different makes and models of specific components. I keep a THICK binder on board with owners manuals of all the various systems - from the stove to the toilet to the ice machine, etc. The good thing is that Maxum sent them to me (years ago of course) when I bought the boat used (I was the 3rd owner). They were very helpful when they were around!

ezcurra is offline   Reply With Quote