Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Depth Finder Problem

I am wondering how exactly the depth finder alarm works. I have a 00 Maxum 1900 SC. Right now it seems to only display "--". I wonder if I might have messed something up, this boat is new to me. It use to display the depth and then it started to intermittently show "--". Then it displayed like 245, when the deepest part of the bay is 70ft. Now it only displays "--". Any ideas or suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Hostage

Hostage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

My depth finder shows "--" when the depth is too deep or I'm running too fast for it to pick up the signal.

The depth finder alarm gets set to a predetermined depth (predeterminied by you), then when the depth gets shallower than than the preconfigured depth, then the alarm goes off. I would expect that if the sounder is returning "--" it would be intpretted as 'no reading' and the alarm would not sound as a result.

I think these are mutually exclusive topics. My depth sounder is sketchy too, so I'm unsure how to resolve that aspect of the problem.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Could I have messed with the Alarm to make the depth sounder display "--"
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

I can't see how they would be related at all. If I recall you toggle through the depths on the alarm and can set it to zero. I have mine off. It doesn't work at 25kts. and I know when I'm coming into shallow water to anchor. If I'm unsure of the area and going very slow I have one eye on the depth guage anyway, so I don't have much use for the alarm.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I finally fixed this, it took me to till the end of the season and I want to let anyone else know who might be having the same problem. The most common problem I heard was with the transducer, so I happen to the same one on ebay, I hung it over the side to test to see if that was the problem, it didn't fix the problem. One day I was out the depth finder started displaying accurate results, so I plugged in the new transducer to verify that it also worked. I then was sure the only problem left was the depth finder display and not the transducer. I found a similar model depth finder gauge and plugged it in and it worked . I love it and it works great. It is hard to find. I also found out for ~$50 Standard Horizon, will fix your depth finder gauge. Though i went ahead and got the other one it has NMEA output as mine didn't
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Admiral

cool...thanks for the report out.......

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote