Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Cabin light

I have a 1991 270 scr it has a long arched shape :?: light in the center of the cabin, how do I change the bulbs?? Has anyone ever had a problem with water coning in from the bow rail where it screws to the deck?
Thanks Doug From NY

mraerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

Default Re: Cabin light

If water is leaking in from the bow rail stanchion, then you'd need to remove the stanchion, then recaulk and reseat the stanchion again. It is most like the bolts at the base of the stanchion. I'd use Life Seal or 5200. These are most likely through-bolted with nylon lock nuts. if you have a lot of rust staining on the fiberglass, it's time to replace the stainless steel bolts (they're stainLESS, not stainFREE and they can and will go over time). You should always replace nylon locking nuts with new ones when they are removed as they are really a one-time use only nut. If you have one leaking, you probably have more. If the base of the stanchion is bent, then you will probably want to consider replacing that as well. leaking stanshions and bent base plates are indicative of signficant force being applied to the rail, such as hitting a dock. Frequently people will fill the space with more caulk and hope for the best. The lock nuts are not always easy to reach. If the baseplates are in good shape, it's probably just aged caulk and recaulking and remounting will work fine.

All the lights I've seen have a removable lens to replace the bulb. Try looking for a tiny slot that a falt-head can be inserted into to remove. There may be more than one. If not, then the entire light may be the lens and might be able to be removed. It's hard not knowing that model and not seeing it. What's the worst you can do? Break it?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote