Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Best Depth/Fish finder for your money

G'Day folks. Looking at purchasing a new depth/gps/fishfinder. Not all that familiar with the market so I am looking to see if anyone has preferences and why. Although I would like to purchase a reliable and functional model I also do not want to take out a second mortage. Would like to mount it on the dash for ease of viewing. I find the original is poorly placed for viewing. Anyone have any suggestions , thoughts?

A Little Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Lieutenant

I just picked up the Garmin 441s. Does everything I need and got it for $429US w/ a through hull transducer. Wanted to buy the 541s but it was a big jump in price.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Admiral

I have a humminbird 343c which is just a depth finder and temp. I could move into a GPS/ depth finder from humminbird without changing transducers thats fits on the same mount. I like that idea.

I have had very good luck with this unit. I also installed a transom transducer instead of taking out the at the factory in the beilge transducer that come with our 3000.

I have looked at the Garmin units for around $400.00 with the internal antenna and like them very much. I have checked around for prices. I would go to Amazon first then overton's for best price.

Good luck and let us know how you came out...

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 720S in the summer and love it. 7 inch touch screen with built in antenna and lots of option for later add-ons which just plug in. AIS capability, DSC and NMEA interface pretty much anything you can think of will add easily. I will be adding a sounder before she goes back in the water and first thing I want to add are fuel sensors to both engines so I can dial in my best fuel consumption for cruise. Very easy to use for a novice at chartplotters and basic install is only a power wire and your up and running. Mine also hooked up with just a couple of wires to my existing DSC radio for 1 button distress calling. Not that cheap but reasonably priced for what you get.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Ensign

I just bought package deal from West Marine. Drive out price was about $4k. I got the Lowrance HDS8 with 3g Broadband radar and sonar structure scan - structure map with a 5 inch mount/light combo. Looking forward to installing it soon.
dltisdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. looks like there are plenty of options and the hard part is going to be deciding just what option we want to stay with. Like the idea of add on's later. So far it seems most are looking at Garmin. Will check them out and will let you know what we end up with down the road. Thanks again and keep em coming.
A Little Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Hey guys,
If you haven't bought one yet, the Garmin 441s has a special going on along with a few other Garmin ones when you buy the g2 vision chips with it. $200 rebate.
I made a post about it somewhere on here recently

- Joe