Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #31
Ensign

So Mike, does the charger (on dock power) only charge the battery that the switch says is on? Or will it charge both batteries regardless of swich position ? I dont want to rewire it but will if stock makes no sense. Thanks, man

bobconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #32
Admiral

The stock charger was a dual bank and was directly wire to each battery so the switch can be off and the charger will charge them when on shore power and the charger is switched on in the cabin electrical panel.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #33
Ensign

Good info brother. One last question if you dont mind. The fridge,If the breaker on the panel is on, while on dock power will run or 120 volts. If I unplug, it switches to 12 volts automatically it seems. Im thinking one of my batteries is for starting and one for the boat. Or if my switch is on both it will draw from both right ?
bobconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #34
Admiral

Yes the frig is dual volt and runs on shore power when plugged in. In 12 V mode it runs on whatever battery is selected on the switch. I alternate between the two batteries every other outing so they both stay charged. Only running on one saves the other in case you run a battery down if you sit on the hook to long.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnors View Post
Good info brother. One last question if you dont mind. The fridge,If the breaker on the panel is on, while on dock power will run or 120 volts. If I unplug, it switches to 12 volts automatically it seems. Im thinking one of my batteries is for starting and one for the boat. Or if my switch is on both it will draw from both right ?
Yes, only start and run on one battery, and only sit on the other battery. A battery charger will directly charge each battery it is connected too regardlass of the position of the battery isolation switch. The switch will dictate which battery is getting charged while running.

Yes, the fridge is dual voltage and automatic. If the fridge is on and the fridge shore power breaker is off, then the fridge is pulling from whichever battery is selected on the battery switch.

You DO NOT want to sit on BOTH at any time, except if both batteries are dying and you need everything you can get to start the engine. If you never sit on the starting battery, this should not be an issue.

I've lost my house power and treated it like a power outage, rather than switch the house to the starting battery for convenience.