Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
Ensign

Angry Another bilge issue: integrated pump/switch

I have a 2004 SR2200 Maxum. Old but hey...it floats and when it runs, it's like a little Mustang! I'm a first time boat owner so bear with my lack of knowledge and less than perfect terminology...
So, the bilge pump is(was) located at the rear, in the low part of the engine compartment. A few weeks back the auto function stopped working so the only way to pump out rain water was to flip the toggle switch (its a simple on/off toggle). The first pump came I installed it just like the old one was wired..again no auto function..only worked when I flipped the switch. So, I blamed the unit...got a second one. uh...I'm no electrician but same thing. So I'm missing something here. The new pumps have exactly the same wires (black, brown and b/white). I've checked every fuse..all are good. I've checked the toggle switch pins..everything's good there.
So, any of you smarties want to chuckle as you type? lol. Feel free to be brutal...I'm a big boy....I'm guessing that this is gonna be a fun fest for you old salts....
Thanks,
Jim

HickoryJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
Admiral

If it has a float switch (which it should) it's either stuck or failed...

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Admiral

The auto function uses a float switch which is most likely bad but first verify it’s fuse isn’t blown as it uses a separate fuse than the helm switch.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
Captain

I'm no expert here either, but doesn't the pump need to be wired directly to the battery to work automatically? I have a separate red wire going to my battery labeled "bilge".
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Ensign

OK...I may not have been clear but the original pump was also an integrated switch and since the two pumps I've installed were also integrated (and not the same manufacturer/model) and they both won't ato functuion, I'm guessing it's not likely stuck or bad switches/floats. I've pulled every fuse under the dash (term?) and they're fine. One response says there's another fuse for this?..where would I look for that? Also, I'll take a look to make sure I didn't leave a wire off the battery when I charged it before replacing it (this thing is eating my wallet)..Thanks to you all for the responses...you know how rare it is to find a site that has helpful non-hostile respondents? refreshing.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
I'm no expert here either, but doesn't the pump need to be wired directly to the battery to work automatically? I have a separate red wire going to my battery labeled "bilge".
That would be the auto function and the float switch is in series between the battery and pump.

Mike
Old 09-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryJim View Post
OK...I may not have been clear but the original pump was also an integrated switch and since the two pumps I've installed were also integrated (and not the same manufacturer/model) and they both won't ato functuion, I'm guessing it's not likely stuck or bad switches/floats. I've pulled every fuse under the dash (term?) and they're fine. One response says there's another fuse for this?..where would I look for that? Also, I'll take a look to make sure I didn't leave a wire off the battery when I charged it before replacing it (this thing is eating my wallet)..Thanks to you all for the responses...you know how rare it is to find a site that has helpful non-hostile respondents? refreshing.
Your integrated pump should have 3 wires; hot from the helm switch, return to the battery, and hot from the battery that connects to the internal float. This hot should have a fuse either near the battery switch if wired to either batt 1 or 2 else if wired directly to the battery the fuse would be near the battery.

Mike
Old 09-07-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
Ensign

Default well well well

I guess this is the punch line....seems like when I was removing the battery, charing it, and then replacing it I managed to "lose track of" all the wires that were connected to the battery....duh. So, yes, I found a wire (b/white) that was deep in the engine well just "hanging out"....and when I reconnected it to the battery...yep, it worked. So likey pump one, and two were just fine...it was that a wire was not connected.
Thanks for your suggestions and ideas...they led me to the problem which I hadn't even considered...but that why this is so cool. Gotta love the the good things the internet has brought us.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #9
Admiral

At least it wasn’t a crazy expensive learning. Next time bet you start with the simple stuff before shotgunning it.

Mike
Old 09-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #10
Admiral

Zip tie the bilge wire to the batt cable...

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto bilge..not so auto