Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 3300 se 2006 fuel usage gauges

Hi fellow owners,

In need of advice on installing a electronic fuel usage gauge.
At present we have the stock dual fuel gauges.

Can you guys please assists in whats best or if anyone has installed on their boat a similar device.

Then we can tell exactly how much fuel was used

Cheers
Simon

Four Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Welcome aboard FourPlay. Floscan is probably the most common 3rd party product for measuring burn rate. Don't discount the Mercruiser Smart Guages which can also provide this information. I haven't installed one personally, because I enjoy boating and don't need to be sick to my stomach while I'm trying to enjoy myself.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Ensign

I installed FloScan's TwinScan on my 3300SCR. The boat's part of a partnership and the rule was to leave the tank 1/2 full after each watch. Our nearest fuel dock is 10 miles round trip our about $45 in gas. The biggest pain was getting everyone to put back enough fuel. Now they have no choice.

It's also great for finding the fuel efficiency sweet spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FloScan.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2483
intelleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Why 1/2 full? That is a hard taret to guesstimate. Why not just say, leave teh boat full, and fill it up again as soon as you're done with it. That way, everyone always pays for exactly what was burned. Or is a weight, fuel economy thing?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Default fuel gauge usage

I installed a Floscan twin gauge where the speed odometer was, The gauge works very nice, and the install was not to hard !

As for gas consumption I was shocked that the speeds I ran before the gauge was installed were very fuel gusling !!

I have changed the speeds I travel to save a little fuel. ( please, the gauge has paid for itself , but don't expect to see a big savings !!

I installed it because we used our 3300 to do the great loop Trip 7000 + miles !

My speed is measured by my Chart plotter , but I kinds know how fast I am moving just looking at the tachs !

John
John Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Ensign

@screw
The previous manager set up our partnership that way because he didn't want to carry the extra 550 lbs of fuel around. Of course he wasn't much of a cruiser. I tried to change the rule when I took over but got voted down. And you're right trying to hit the 1/2 full mark was a major pain and source of many arguments.

With the FloScan it's all pretty straight forward. Now we track fuel used, purchased and fuel credit. I can put in 100 gallons and only use 50 and still have 50 left the next time I use the boat.

The hard part was learning that at cruise (about 30MPH) we get about 1.0 MPG. Best case is around 1400RPM or about 9MPH I can get about 1.5 to 1.6 MPG.

Hey JW I hope you have the +$30K for fuel on your trip.
intelleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

The original poster joined the Forum and posted this post on the same day 3 1/2 years ago. He's only made a single post (this one). I'm going to move this to its own thread to continue this discussion.