Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 3200SCR: Starboard Trim Switch Operating Oddly

When I bought this boat the previous owner told me that there was a quirk with the operation of the starboard trim switch (both the starboard and port trim switches being recessed in the port throttle shifter). The port switch operates normally, in that you thumb the switch up or down to raise or lower the trim. But, on the starboard switch, it operates ONLY if I have a finger from my other hand switching up the "starboard trailer" toggle switch located on the instrument panel at the helm. At first, this wasn't a big deal, but now it's getting old. Obviously a wiring issue, but I'm a little confused as to how to approach the trouble shooting.

Second question: the Quicksilver Throttles are getting to be very stiff to operate in general. I was told that I could replace them with either dual controls (transmission/throttle) or another set of newer "all in one" throttle controls. Has anyone done this and what controls would you reccomend?

Thanks,
Jeff

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Admiral

jeff...welcome to the zoo..unfortunately I'm really weak on throttles....I can forward your question to a buddy of mine that works a dealership...

the trim switch should probably be replaced...don't know if it's possible to disassemble it enough to replace the switch....(I guess with a big enough hammer ..anything is possible :shock: )....hopefully someone will join in to help with your questions...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

There's was a quicksilver twin lever throttle on ebay a few days ago brand new you will have to keep a look out to see if it gets relisted as it didn't sell
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy

It may not be your trim switch at all but the limit switch on the side of the drive. When that goes bad the only way to move the drive is with the trailer switch which is actually an overide switch for the limit switch. Only way to change it is with boat out of the water and the drives off. Had the same problem with my 3200SCR last season. Pulled the drives in the off season and replaced the limit switch and trim indicators on both drives (along with the bellows, water hose and lube oil line). Problem solved.
BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Lieutenant

wow...holy moly thats a ton of work. Next time I change out the bellows I'll consider doing the limit switch change. I wonder if there's a way I can troubleshoot the switch first to find out if, in fact, it is this limit switch.
SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy

See the attached for more info on how to change the senders and limit switches. The trim indicator and limit switch have connections that plug into the wiring harness around the back of the engine, close to the distributor. The connections are different for each so you can't hook them up wrong. You should be able to disconnect the limit switch and/or bypass it to see if the problem still exists or goes away. You will see from the attached article however, that the symptoms you are experiencing are typical of a defective limit switch. http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders.html

BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote