Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 24v trolling motor wiring help (please!)

Greetings and salutations!
I have a 1998 2000SF with a Motorguide brute bow mount factory installed. I recently replaced the two 12v trolling motor batteries, but didnt document the connections. I have been reading all over the web about the correct wiring of the system, but have found more questions than answers... The leads which head from the batteries forward to the trolling motor connection are as follows. Black, Red, Orange, and Black with white stripes. There is also a short white cable which is a jumper to get the 24v. I believe that there are two legs in the circuit, one being a standard 12v and another for the 24v. I have yet to find any diagram which references the Black striped lead, and how it should be connected. ANY assistance is greatly appreciated!

Jack

lincoln72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #2

If the trolling motor is 24V and you have 2 12v batteries, then you will need to first wire the 2 x 12v batteries in Series in order to maintain the amperage and double the voltage.

You will connect the Ground (negative) post from battery #1 to the positive post on battery #2. This will wire the batteries in Series (24V). Now connect the positive wire from the trolling motor to the positive connection on battery #1 (has ground (negative) going to positive on battery #2). Now connect the ground (negative) from the trolling motor to the gound on battery #2 (where the positive is connected to the ground on battery #1)

The example is 2 x 6v making a 12v circuit. The same applies to 2 x 12V in series = 24v.
Attached Thumbnails
connecting_series.gif  

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank you shrew. Yes, I agree with the diagram... but the fact that there are four wires leading to the bow is a bit confusing to me. If there were just two, the connections would be very simple. I just have not seen anything with a black and white (or blue) stripe lead. Similar to this...
https://www.iboats.com/shop/rig-rite...-v-groove.html
lincoln72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

If I had to guess. Black & Black/White are the grounds. Red and Orange are positive. I have a hunch that the trolling motor reverses polarity to run in reverse. I assume that Black and Black/white go to ground, and Red and Orange go to positive. I'll further assume that the reversal is done at the connections in the motor to simplify installation on the battery side. (Otherwise, it would be counterintuitive to force the installer to reverse the connections based on color coding in order to properly configure reverse, which would make no sense.)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Admiral

See page 4.

http://www.motorguide.com/userfiles/...ers-Manual.pdf

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Page 4 for 12 v is what I initially described. What are the gauges of the colored wires? I would assume that the wires to the foot pedal and sonar would be significantly smaller than the positive and ground leads. With no mention, I assumed they were all the same gauge.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Page 4 for 12 v is what I initially described. What are the gauges of the colored wires? I would assume that the wires to the foot pedal and sonar would be significantly smaller than the positive and ground leads. With no mention, I assumed they were all the same gauge.
Since the thread title said 24V I'm assuming he wants the 24V diagram which does show other wires. But agree knowing the wire gauge would be helpful.

The 24V diagram shows two larger gauge wires across the two batteries for 24V power, a short jumper wire to series connect the batteries and two smaller gauge wire on just one battery for 12V. Pretty sure this matches what he described.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24v, trolling-motor, wiring