Old 11-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2001 2900scr 120V power panel

I searched all the threads and can't find one relating specifically to my problem...

My 120V panel has a 4 position switch (off-1-2-3) that I think may be a switch for a genset. There was a previous owner installed generator at one time but I have removed that wiring. The panel has been tampered with and the main breakers have been jumped together for some reason (not safe). I have installed a 3000 watt inverter with an automatic transfer switch to protect the system. I am re-wiring it to original. I don't believe the factory new set-up for my boat included a genset.

My questions are...
1- shouldn't the incoming shore power (2 plugs) go through the 2 main breakers on the panel first and not the switch?
2- Is that 3-position switch for a genset, or simply to switch between the 2 power sources (something I can do with the main breakers on the panel)? Do I really need it?

This switch is a Kraus & Naimer CA20 with 12 wiring terminals that pose many combinations for hook-up. This switch doesn't appear on 110V wiring diagrams in the Maxum sport cruiser manual I downloaded so I think I can just bypass it.
Any help would be appreciated. It seems Maxum has many different 120V panel designs and configurations. Makes it tough to follow their thinking.

Barney_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #2

If the shore power is routed through the isolation switch (off-1-2-3) then that is how the OP is isolating shore power or generator to the panel. It can't be both. I'd suspect this switch to actually an (Off-1-2-BOTH) switch.

The idea would be to wire the panel to the power post on the switch. The incoming line from shore power on one post (1), and the generator on the other post (2).

The line from the switch would then enter the panel through the main double breakers.

If you don't have an alternate power source, then you should be able to skip the switch. The switch might be nice as a service disconnect to the panel without the need to unplug the boat. OR it could be a layer of complexity and confusion that could be avoided. Your call.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Shrew!
My first thought was to run through the switch but all my house wiring experience told me to go to the breaker first. Line 2 power was fed through the switch and I think that was left alone.
I'm thinking about bypassing the switch all together and fabing-up a blank faceplate for the switch plate.
I have the 2 mains (plus the switched voltmeter to verify) and there are breakers at my slip.
Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Ensign

Here's the final story/solution (with thanks to Shrew)...
I deleted the 4 position switch and ran wiring according to the sport cruiser manual wiring diagram. The only difference is that I wired a new transfer switch according to it's labeling into the #1 shore power circuit for my new 3000W inverter. I had a reverse polarity light on that circuit and found that the former owner had crossed the leads on the #1 breaker. Fixed that after I switched the leads there.
Tested transfer switch by plugging in #1 plug while inverter was on. Worked!
Double checked the #2 (AC only) circuit. Worked!
As discussed prior, incoming shore power now controlled by each main breaker.
Panel voltmeter is switched for #1 (and inverter) and #2 circuits so I can read separately.
I've traced ALL wires behind the 120V panel and applied electrician's stick-on numbers to each wire with a legend placed in the manual page with wiring diagram. Even after a few beers, I should be able to trace wires/connections.
CASE SOLVED! HAPPY SKIPPER HERE!!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

Very nice!!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120v panel switch, 2001 2900scr shore power