Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2001 2400 SCR Replacement Compass

I'm afraid I have to replace the original Danforth Compass, the cover has become clouded to the point where it is barely readable. I imagine
many people have been this route, would appreciate information on what compass model was used to replace the original.

Thanking you in advance.

Douglas

Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Captain

Douglas, have you tried automobile headlight lens cleaner on the cover? I know it works great on cloudy headlights.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

I replaced with a Ritchie compass and had to widen the hole. This required removing the glass on teh Starboard side windshield. NOT FUN!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Admiral

Had to change my Danforth compass. The fluid dried up. West Marine has Danforth compasses and IMHO I would put the same one back in if you want to save time and trouble from installation differences that you will have with a Ritchie compass.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I replaced mine with a Ritchie compass. Same size hole but the Ritchie was a little bit deeper. Instead of using starboard as a spacer went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got a white cutting board and cut it up.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Ensign

Used the headlight lens restoring kit, and I must admit that it worked out far better than expected. The compass exterior came to almost factory when I was finished. Still evidence of fading from being left in the sun uncovered too long, however for the most part, it worked great.

Thanks
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Lt. JG

you can try Viking Compass, they have a replacement for Danforth A-154 and C-351
wcphillippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Had to change my Danforth compass. The fluid dried up. West Marine has Danforth compasses and IMHO I would put the same one back in if you want to save time and trouble from installation differences that you will have with a Ritchie compass.

Roger
+1
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Ensign

SCR2700 (1997). I just replaced my Danforth C-351 compass. If anyone is interested I will gladly provide details.
Mcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgrew View Post
SCR2700 (1997). I just replaced my Danforth C-351 compass. If anyone is interested I will gladly provide details.
Welcome aboard Mcgrew!!!!

This is contrary to how a forum works. If anyone is interested, please either post here, or in a dedicated thread and allow everyone to read the responses and contribute. Taking non-personal, boat related topics offline if frowned upon. Please don't solicitate such activity.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Ensign

SCR 2700 (1997): My Danforth Compass (Model C-351) lost fluid this year and failed. *It is no longer manufactured and cannot be repaired (it is "glued" together). *My compass is at eye level when seated and about belt high when standing at the helm. *Viking Instruments offers a C-351 replacement (Model F-82DR), their custom version of the Ritchie Model F-82 compass. *It fits in the same size hole and can be read when seated or standing at the helm. *It cost $129 + shipping. *It is necessary to drill different screw holes. *This was a problem for me because a standard drill cannot be used due to the windshield above the compass. *To solve this I purchased a Milescraft Drive 90 drill attachment. *This allowed me to drill holes at a 90 degree angle with my drill. I also purchased two "hex" shaft drill bits (3/16th *inch for the wire hole and 1/8th inch for the three screw holes). *I glued the fabric gasket to the base of the compass using a Locktite FLexible Transparent Adhesive. *Next I removed the instrument panel to gain access to the underside of the compass. *The black compass wire was connected to the black ground wire and the red compass wire connected to the grey positive wire using "Doit Minature Twist-On Wire Connectors". *The compass lights when the navigation light switch is turned on. *I did not use the "screw" approach to secure the compass. *Instead I drilled three holes and used 1 1/2 inch stainless (non magnetic) bolts with SS nuts/washers. *The bolts had oval phillips heads identical to the screws that came with the compass. *Finally, I reinstalled the instrument panel. My new compass works great!

Mcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote