Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 46
Default 2 bilge pumps?

when i opened a panel in the cabin floor i found a second bilgepump.
is this like a failsafe if the cabin floods or something?

and what is that RULE-A-MATIC switch for next to it?


i also wondered, should a bilge always be completely dry (best case scenario) or is it supposed to always have some amount of water in it?
__________________

crus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 6,380
Default

Cruisers have a forward and aft bilge pump. While we all want a dry bilge that is seldom the case. Rule-a -matic is the float switch to turn the pump on automatically if the water level gets to high.

You may have another pump that looks similar for the shower pump out.
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Rule-a -matic is the float switch to turn the pump on automatically if the water level gets to high.
so... this should always be switched on i take it? or just when needed?
crus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crus View Post
so... this should always be switched on i take it? or just when needed?
Should be always ON from the panel.
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
Gugi
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,117
Default

Each bilge compartment separated by a bulkhead should have its own bilge pump, regardless of whether the compartment can drain back to the one behind it. If the engine compartment is flooding the mid bilge, I want both pumps running.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Captain
 
Phillbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crus View Post

i also wondered, should a bilge always be completely dry (best case scenario) or is it supposed to always have some amount of water in it?
Mine is always dry.
Phillbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crus View Post
so... this should always be switched on i take it? or just when needed?
There should be two positive leads. One positive lead is always hot. That goes into the float switch, then from the float switch to the bilge pump. The other positive lead is from the switch at the helm. This ensures that there is power to the bilge pump even if the switch at the helm is off. This would only function if the battery switch is turned to ON.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crus View Post
so... this should always be switched on i take it? or just when needed?
T
The float switch should be wired directly to the batteries so if the float raises the pump turns on no matter what position the battery switch is in. The helm switch bypasses the float and should only be used if required.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
T
The float switch should be wired directly to the batteries so if the float raises the pump turns on no matter what position the battery switch is in. The helm switch bypasses the float and should only be used if required.
There are two schools of thought on this. The factory wires it through the bus panel because this allows you to isolate the circuit using the "issolation" (Battery) switch for safety purposes. Otherwise, you need to disconnect the leads from the batteries.

It's also not advisable to overload the battery terminal connections with uneccessary direct connections. Wiring to a single battery is a single point of failure should that bettery die. Using the isolation switch you can choose which set of batteries is being run on.

While running, you can ensure that you're bilge pumps are on the battery beign supplied by the alternator.

(I know don't get me started on running batteries on BOTH off of a single alternator).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
There are two schools of thought on this. The factory wires it through the bus panel because this allows you to isolate the circuit using the "issolation" (Battery) switch for safety purposes. Otherwise, you need to disconnect the leads from the batteries.

It's also not advisable to overload the battery terminal connections with uneccessary direct connections. Wiring to a single battery is a single point of failure should that bettery die. Using the isolation switch you can choose which set of batteries is being run on.

While running, you can ensure that you're bilge pumps are on the battery beign supplied by the alternator.

(I know don't get me started on running batteries on BOTH off of a single alternator).
Either way this line requires a separate fuse than the helm switch.

On my batteries I reserve the stud for the main battery power cable and use the post to connect the battery charger and trim pump. All else is wired to the switch.
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.