Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy 1990 18ft Maxum Bowrider Wiring Diagram-Need Help

I purchased a boat last year and didnt have time to even get it in the lake due to the winter. I just uncovered it for this season prep and found three wires cut by the ignition. I also found a wire in the engine bay that not connected.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1990 18ft bowrider? The boat starts and runs fine, lights work. I just need to confirm why the wires are cut and not connected.

Thank You

toyman1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Admiral

If everything is working most likely they are from an accessory the PO removed before selling.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Ensign

I would agree with you if the wires were just cut. The wires have butt connectors on them and wrapped in electrical tape. They are not factory, someone added them. The wires are definitely part of the harness, not added. The one that im concerned about is behind the engine with a factory round connector that mounts under a bolt.
toyman1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #4
Admiral

If they were added a factory wiring diagram won’t help much. Can you post a picture of them? Do you know where the other end goes? The one on the engine may be normal as Mercruiser harness is known to have a few of these.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman1111 View Post
They are not factory, someone added them. The wires are definitely part of the harness, not added.
That does not make sense... Add or Factory?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman1111 View Post
......found three wires cut by the ignition. I also found a wire in the engine bay that not connected.
I assume you mean 'near' the ignition, not that the ignition did the cutting (e.g cut by the knife)?

Is everything working on the boat?

If the wires were stock from the factory, and then cut and terminated, something on the boat would be missing or not functioning. You don't normally wire to the ignition switch itself. That sounds more like something done installing aftermarket auto accessories. Are you sure they didn't have a crazy stereo system installed at some point?

This is one of the rare times someone actually needs the Owners Manual. The wiring diagram is about the only useful piece of information in the owners manual. However, it will not show aftermarket installations.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote