Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Newbie saying hi

Hello, I have just bought my first boat, a Maxum 2300 SC, currently moored at Conwy Marina. I just wanted to say hello and to thank you for the future advice 😄

Noggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Awesome

Pics Pics Pics we like pics

Welcome

2000 Maxum 2400SCR "Bada Bing Bada Boom"
gssixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Just so you won't be a danger to yourself and the rest of us out on the water (or in the marina), I suggest you contact the local Power Squadron and sign up for their power boating course. Here's a link - https://www.usps.org/

The life you save could be yours (or mine).

The button behind the red flap on the VHF radio is for "emergency" use only. That button transmits the boat location and the "Mayday" call to any boats in the area where the emergency occurs. The DSC function requires you to obtain an MMSI number, and use of this function is taught at the Power Squadron. This button behind the red flap is used ONLY in an emergency.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Just so you won't be a danger to yourself and the rest of us out on the water (or in the marina), I suggest you contact the local Power Squadron and sign up for their power boating course. Here's a link - https://www.usps.org/

The life you save could be yours (or mine).

The button behind the red flap on the VHF radio is for "emergency" use only. That button transmits the boat location and the "Mayday" call to any boats in the area where the emergency occurs. The DSC function requires you to obtain an MMSI number, and use of this function is taught at the Power Squadron. This button behind the red flap is used ONLY in an emergency.
Thanks to all for the welcome, this seems like a very friendly forum.

Jim, that seems like a long way to go for a course, given that my boat is moored in Wales, but thanks for the thought. I've already done a couple of RYA courses and am qualified to PB Intermediate. I also regularly drive a rib as safety boat in my local sailing club, so, although I am new to the site and to owning a boat, I'm not a complete novice. I appreciate you clarifying that the red button, behind the flap, marked 'emergency' is only for use in an emergency though ��
Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Hey Noggsy - sorry, I wasn't aware that you were located in Wales. Yes, that would be a tad far eh?

You have some good knowledge then having taken some RYA courses.

What is the make of your VHF radio?

All power boats are basically set up the same, so I suspect one of your power boating neighbours will be able to assist with things new and strange to you.

Cheers,
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Ensign

Cheers Jim, can't remember the make at the moment, but I'll update in a few weeks when I'm next there. Funny you being from Ontario...I had my first taste of PBing on Lake of the Woods and then up in Algonquin Park about 30 years ago.

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Know both areas very very well going back about 50 years ago when I used to travel both areas as a sales territory for Union Carbide. Gorgeous part of the planet for sure.

I note that you also require a VHF certificate in the UK, same as our Canadian Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate (usually done with DSC certification) before you can legally operate your VHF radio. Here's a link to your course through the RYA - .http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...SRCtaster.aspx

Cheers,
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
Admiral

Please note that if the VHF does not have an internal GPS an external one is required to be connected in order that when pressing the emergency button your corrordances are transmitted.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2300 sc, newbie