Old 03-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Newbie!

Hello all-

I figured I would join this forum o get some input!

Long story short, I have been looking for quite a while for a "new" boat and have come across a 2001 2300 SC. I have had experience in the past with carver, shamrock, and larson.

My question to you is what I should be looking for. Every other forum I have been on the general thought is that Maxum is a pretty looking Bayliner (and that they are junk).

I am just looking for a family cruiser with occasional water sports, etc in the Boston area.

Any input is much appreciated!

Jim

jt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome JT to the forum! A boat is a boat is a boat! No matter what brand name that is stamped on there are certain things that you look for, even a Bayliner cause I have had 2 of them and they have been great boats. The old saying the Maxum is a Bayliner with lipstick can hold true. Whatever the case you look for the same mechanical properties and as well as the over all condition of the boat. The first thing that comes to mind is how it was taken care of. If it wasn't well hope you get a good deal and that you don't mind a lot of elbow grease to get it up to speed. Even a 23 foot boat like you are looking at I would make sure there is no rot floors are solid and mechanically it has been taken care of. Might think about getting a survey done to take all the guess work out. I would love to see you into a Maxum, great boats, I have a 01 3000 SCR and it has been a great boat for me and my family.

Hopefully others will chime in here that own that size and can be more specific....

Good luck and let us know how you come out with your hunt..

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Admiral

+1 what Roger said.

Plenty of Maxums here and no complaints. Look around the site and see for yourself.

A lot of top $ guys will always snub the lower cost to make themselves fell better.

IMO Maxum made a great boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Hi JT,
I just bought my Maxum in August, I too had heard these sayings about Maxum Boats, and also about Bayliners being "junk boats"... Before I bought my boat I had a survey done and asked the surveyor about my concerns, in a nutshell he said that in the 30 years he has been doing surveys he RARELY had a bayliner that surveyed badly, and the ones that did were simply neglected to the point of there demise! I'm not sure you are aware of the fact that Bayliner and Maxum Boats are/were a part of the " Brunswick Boat Group" This company also owns some other Boat Builders you might have heard of..... "Boston Whaler, Sea Ray....etc...etc" It's the same as General Motors having the Chevrolet vs Cadillac lines.... are the Cadillacs a more prestige brand? Maybe, but is it any more solidly built or reliable? Not Necessarily..... It's all about the options you can get or that you want to pay for and yes a lot of it is about paying for a name! I also have a Welcraft Scarab and I have always done all my own maintenance and mechanics, and I can tell you that my Maxum has the same Mercruiser parts in it that ALL other boats that use Mercruiser parts have in them, and that's a fact! The Bayliner Line was created to make quality boating available to everyone, just like any other manufacturer they've had some lemons thru the years but all in all they make a dependable product, and their Maxum Line just stepped up the game a bit to try to get a more polished line out to compete with the higher end manufactures! Will the "Searay" guys always think there boats are superior....of course, but they also paid about twice as much for the same boat that they will get the exact same enjoyment out of that I will in my Maxum.
So my advice would be, if you like the boat, have a survey done on it and be there to ask him some questions, make sure it will be mechanically dependable and if it is buy it and have fun..... You won't regret it!
Good Luck,
Mike
0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the responses!

I put a depositon the boat and am working on finalizing this week!

I have done some reasearch as far as bimini/covers are concerned. I am looking to get a boat cover that snaprs from windshield to transom. Does anyone have any experience with Leta's top Shop? I contacted them and they said they had a cover in stock..

Thanks!
jt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Admiral

+1 for leta...
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1186 View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I put a depositon the boat and am working on finalizing this week!

I have done some reasearch as far as bimini/covers are concerned. I am looking to get a boat cover that snaprs from windshield to transom. Does anyone have any experience with Leta's top Shop? I contacted them and they said they had a cover in stock..

Thanks!
Yes they have the patterns and will do a great job, however so you know you will have to install the snaps to ensure they line up with the ones on the boat. if you have a local shop make it they will install the snaps.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Letas did a full canvas for my 2400 scr. It fig great . Good price and quality. I plan to use them for my 3300 in the next few years

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote