Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Cool newbe

Hi just joined I'm thinking of buying a 1993 2700 scr needs a motor guy says the block no good i have a mechanic so looking for a block also this is my first boat can anyone tell me if this is a good model the good the bad I'm paying 5k for it with trailer also need manual if I get it thanks all

REB181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

I know of no issues with this year and model, the trouble sum cabin lights that cracked are design out by this year.

Yacht world has a 93' listed for $11,500

Your looking at around $5K to repower. So depends on the rest of boats condition. Is there a trailer included? I would try to get for 1 or 2 K less.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
Ensign

so 5k to repower is that buying a motor ? like I said I have a buddy that is an auto mechanic and he can rebuild a motor for me the guy I'm buying from says he has all the motor parts I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes so I'll find out what happen to the motor sounded like i just need to replace the block and rebuild. your thoughts please...thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

You'll also want to know why the block was ruined ... actually you'll want to know if it was even the block that failed, or was it something else. Could be possible for example that an exhaust component failed and let water into the cylinders through the head. That can cause all sorts of issues like cracked valves, cracked heads, cracks in the block and piston, or the cylinder(s) can hydro lock and bend the connecting rods and squish the rod and crank bearings. 8 cylinder engines' manifold and riser kits are around $600 from a third party. Genuine OEM Mercruiser parts probably at least 2x that amount, been a while since I've looked. If you don't know what you're getting in to, buy one that runs in my opinion.
2004_3300_SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Ensign

he took the heads off and found metal pieces said it needs a sleeve but he says doing that could make the other wall weak so chose not to do that but I think I can get another block for it it's a 454 so he said the heads look fine and the exhaust too, he also said to look for a block with 289 in the serial # has thicker walls as for the rest of the boat he is sending me photos of the inside said it's in good condition, he stripped the bottom paint so need to do that and he also said it's a 2700 but it 28ft and weighs 7400 not 6545 like other ad's say I don't think he will come down on price though I think he's been dealing with lowballers your thoughts.....oh yea it has a bravo1 out drive ..
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB181 View Post
so 5k to repower is that buying a motor ? like I said I have a buddy that is an auto mechanic and he can rebuild a motor for me the guy I'm buying from says he has all the motor parts I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes so I'll find out what happen to the motor sounded like i just need to replace the block and rebuild. your thoughts please...thanks

That's the typical cost to install a rebuilt long block.

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB181 View Post
he took the heads off and found metal pieces said it needs a sleeve but he says doing that could make the other wall weak so chose not to do that but I think I can get another block for it it's a 454 so he said the heads look fine and the exhaust too, he also said to look for a block with 289 in the serial # has thicker walls as for the rest of the boat he is sending me photos of the inside said it's in good condition, he stripped the bottom paint so need to do that and he also said it's a 2700 but it 28ft and weighs 7400 not 6545 like other ad's say I don't think he will come down on price though I think he's been dealing with lowballers your thoughts.....oh yea it has a bravo1 out drive ..

Hard to say without seeing any pictures.
I am assuming it has a Bravo II outdrrive, correct?

Did your mechanic say where he thought the metal came from?
A sleeve would mean a damaged cylinder wall which typically occurs from either a dropped valve or ring issues. The latter happen when water get into the cylinders which is >90% due to bad exhaust. The exhaust is water cooled as required by the coast guard due to confined space.

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Admiral

Where are you located and will you be boating in salt water?

If so you may want to install a closed cooling system, protects the engine from corresion as it normally has raw water cooling.

Mike