Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New to me Maxum

Hi all. Have been boating for 20 years, all of it in deck boats, pontoon boats with outboards and jetskis. I will find out in the next few days if I will now be venturing into the land of express cruisers. I have an offer in that I am pretty sure will be excepted for a 1999 2400 SCR. It has an extended teak look swim platform, full enclosure, and was repowered with a 2008 5.7 crate motor.

It was owned by an older couple that really has not used it much over the last few years. It is in need of a thorough cleaning, but I can see a real gem here when its cleaned back up and some minor repairs made.

I am a bit concerned about so much I don't know about this kind of boat, but I figure I walked guys through jetski engine rebuilds on forums so I am sure I can get help on learning how to operate a mercenator (spelling?)head, and all the little maint. things you guys take for granted such as how to change oil in both engine and outdrives, how to winterize, and all kinds of other things I will probably make a total pain in the butt of myself asking.

Let it be known, any and all help and advise given will be greatly appreciated!

Will update all once sale is complete.

BiXLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome ...glad you're here! Make sure you have a surveyor hired and take a test run with him. It will be money well spent. Your surveyor can help you by going through all your mechanicals and showing you they work.

Good luck and let us how it goes.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Welcome ...glad you're here! Make sure you have a surveyor hired and take a test run with him. It will be money well spent. Your surveyor can help you by going through all your mechanicals and showing you they work.

Good luck and let us how it goes.

Roger
Well, the boat is being sold for the older couple by a trusted and well respected family run large Marina. Part of the sales deal is they will allow me to watch as the change engine oil and filter, service the outdrives with oil change, gimble and bellows as well as a new impeller. They know the boat and have done the maint on it since this couple has owned it. (they second owners) I am hoping I dont need to have it surveyed? Do you think under these circumstances I should still get sa survery?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
Admiral

Get a survey! IMHO . You now will have someone working for you. These people that you are buying this boat from should not be offended. Standard business practice! If they are something is not right. I might even suggest oil tests for the engine and out drive by your surveyor. You have plenty of time before the season starts.

Again good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
Ensign

How much is a survey?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Admiral

Welcome aboard

I have a 97' 2400 SCR with the 5.7 LX and Bravo 2 drive.

A survey will cost about $300, I did so with my boat and like you was getting it from an older couple who kept it a great marina yet several things were identified as issues such as the gas fill hose having cracks in it. This hose is $10 per foot and about 10 ft so $100 just for the part. I was able to negotiate the price down and performed the work myself.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
CGG
Lt. Commander

Survey and oil test.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote