Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New member-Scratched and faded 2300SR2

I bought a 2300sr2 that spent it's whole life in the end slip at a dock at the Lake of the Ozarks. It runs great, but the left side is faded and both sides have a little dock rash. I tried buffing it with some new finish, but it had limited results. I'm thinking of using some gel coat cut compound then polish. Any ideas? As far as the scratches go, there are a few small stress cracks and a couple gouges. Is there a place to get matching gel coat for repair?

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Commander

Welcome to the club Chad. My number one recommendation is to start with a good quality High Speed buffer. Those cheapo orbital automotive buffers just don't cut it. Get some 3M Marine Color/Gloss Restorer. Once you get the surface cleaned up then go after repairing the rash. You may be surprised how little you notice minor scuffs and scratches. West Marine is a great resource for any gel coat repair supplies.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Admiral

Another welcome.....Chad...... Yes what Jp said.....get a good polisher. It will pay for itself. Look into a good rubbing compound-cleaner-wax and again 3m makes many to choose from. Shurhold is another company that will have all that you might need also. There is another method and that is called Poly-glow. Google this... it is a totally new take on taking care on your fiberglass....

Have fun:-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Ensign

That's probably a good idea about the buffer. Mine is only slightly better than doing it by hand. I'll be sure to try the 3M stuff. I thought about the poly glow, but the reviews were all over the place some people liked it some hated it. I might try it on a small spot out of sight to make sure.

Thanks

The snow is finally melting and I cannot wait for summer!
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Another welcome.....Chad...... Yes what Jp said.....get a good polisher. It will pay for itself. Look into a good rubbing compound-cleaner-wax and again 3m makes many to choose from. Shurhold is another company that will have all that you might need also. There is another method and that is called Poly-glow. Google this... it is a totally new take on taking care on your fiberglass....

Have fun:-)

Roger

Roger,
Thanks for this post, I have had a look into Poly-Glow and was almost going to pull the trigger on giong for it, however research is KEY, did a lot of digging and as always everyone should make their own mind up but I am very concerned with its lack of resistance to even light rubbing of fenders etc, saw some horror pics of patchy boats only months after getting it done properly, unfortunatley I dont think anything yet can beat the old and labour intesive wat of buffing, well looks like im in for another few days with the power buffer ;-(
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote