Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New member from the UK

Good evening, only recently found this forum, I have had a maxum 2700scr now for ten years, great boat, 2001 model, re-engined with a mercruiser 6.2 in 2008, engine rebuilt in 2013 and engine has given up the ghost again today, water ingress caused by freezing, this is in spite of putting over fifty hours on the engine over the summer!! I am going to try the insurance company tomorrow see what they say.

telcowilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Admiral

Wow that sucks, has the cause of the water entry into the engine been identified? What was the reason for the rebuild in 2013?

Then again why did it need to be repowered in 2008 when the original engine was only 7 years old? Was this a brand new factory Mercruiser?

Are you using the same mechanic all this time?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Ensign

The original engine was a 7.4 mercruiser, it had only done 100 hours but the leg has perished and rotted so when I replaced the leg I opted for a complete package for the safety, this cost UK £16000, then I had a problem two years ago which they said was due to water getting onto the top of the engine from washing the decks down, this time they have said that the exhaust manifold has split and has water ingress from freezing, I have used the same mechanic each time, they are a registered mercruiser dealer, not a cowboy outfit but still not happy with their service really. What would anybody recommend?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Admiral

Not sure how water on top of the engine would result in a rebuild.

Did the manifold split due to age or not being winterized properly? Or did the freeze come before it was winterized?

Do you know other boaters and do they all use the same shop, may want to see who they use and think of them.

I do just about all my own service, been a gear head since I was a teen.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Ensign

I would have thought the water on the engine would have drained away as well? I have spoken to a couple of people about this boat shop and a couple of people have told me to be wary!! It is the only one in the area that is a mercruiser dealer though so I am at a bit of a loss