Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New Member 2001 3300SCR

Hi, new guy here. Just bought a 2001 Maxum 3300 SCR. Boating out of Toledo Ohio area. It was a repo and needs some elbow grease and some outdrive work and should be good to go. Any advice for this boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Did you have the boat surveyed? If not have the bellows inspected and raw water pump. Have you tested all systems to endure they work?

Have you owned a boat before? If not a boating class to learn the rules is recommended.

What questions do you have?

Post some pictures.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Welcome - I recently picked up an '03 3300 SCR that needs some work as well. Not my first boat, but certainly the biggest and most complex I've owned, with all its amenities / creature comforts. A survey is a great idea so you can learn all of the issues it's got - hit the major ones first, then once you have the running gear seaworthy, you can get to the more minor stuff as time and budget permit.
2004_3300_SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Ensign

The boat was surveyed but it was already out of the water and winterized so didn't get to run the motors or check water system. Water pump does work. My brother in law is a mechanic so the engine work cost will be a minimum. There are a couple issues that I need some advice on....

1. Needs a new fridge. Any suggestion on type brand size would be appreciated. Are they hard to install?

2. Port bench seat seems like it needs some support in the middle. Seems like a pretty poor design. Any suggestions to fix this? I assume people have had the same issue .

If I think of more I will post. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboy54 View Post
The boat was surveyed but it was already out of the water and winterized so didn't get to run the motors or check water system. Water pump does work. My brother in law is a mechanic so the engine work cost will be a minimum. There are a couple issues that I need some advice on....

1. Needs a new fridge. Any suggestion on type brand size would be appreciated. Are they hard to install?

2. Port bench seat seems like it needs some support in the middle. Seems like a pretty poor design. Any suggestions to fix this? I assume people have had the same issue .

If I think of more I will post. Thanks for the help.

Joe
I was referring to the raw water engine pump impeller not the fresh water pump, since you did not run the engines you'll have to wait till spring.

Frankly I would not buy a boat without running them in the water as they are the most likely thing to have an issue and the most costly.

Freg is easy to install but I'll let others with this model say what units they have.

Regarding the seat check the sport cruiser for this project as others have developed solutions.

Mike
Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
CGG
Lt. Commander

I found a cooler that fits perfectly under that port side bench seat. Keep my extra lines in it. No problem with 3 sitting on it.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #7
Ensign

Great idea CGG! Do you happen to know the make and model of that cooler?

Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

My port bench has a hinged leg in the center along the front edge with a rubber boot on the bottom.

Went up into my '03 3300 this afternoon and took a good look at the fridge. It's a Norcold model DE0041 dual voltage unit. Pic attached. Found it online for $999.99 at West Marine: NORCOLD DE-0041 AC/DC Refrigerator/Freezer | West Marine
Attached Thumbnails
norcold.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
Ensign

Welcome. The 3300SCR is a great boat. We have been living on ours for 5 years now in Australia. Use it every weekend. We replaced our fridge with a new Waeco unit and it has been great! I have the same problem with the seat, a centre strut is a great idea. What engines do you have? I hope someone can please tell me about how the two battery switches are wired? Lol
Supertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
CGG
Lt. Commander

Boat still has shrink wrap on. I will let you know in a few weeks.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:19 AM   #11
Ensign

update:

Just got the outdrives serviced (gimball rings, bellows, shift cables, etc) for 5 grand for both outdrives. The motors are the 350 MPI's with Bravo 3 outdrives. In may I will have the engines serviced.

A little story about the boat.....

Before I bought the boat (the boat was a repo) I found the former owners name and number in the boat and decided to give him a call. He was real nice guy and told me everything about the boat and I asked him about all this issues that the surveyor found. To make a long story short he has had the boat for about 10 years and was running the day he let it go. He bought it with his girlfriend at the time. When they broke up he kept the boat and stored it every year indoors in the winter. When he wanted to upgrade he went to go find the ex girlfriend to see if she would like to continue the payments on the boat, as the boat was in both of their names. Come to find out she got married and died during childbirth. Instead of asking the husband to pay for the boat, he turned it back to the bank. Crazy story right ??

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will look into in the Norcold fridge as I see it has mixed reviews on the west marine website? Anyone have an Isotherm fridge? Do you like it? Which model do you have?

Does anyone have a picture of the hinged leg? Mine is not that way and I am assuming that was the PO's way of solving the issue.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #12
Admiral

Now that's a story I have not heard or even close.

Did the gimbal rings need to be replaced or did you mean gimbal bearings?

Mike
Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #13
Ensign

Gimbal rings. There was alot of slop motion in the outdrives during inspection. The surveyor called a mechanic and said it would cost around 5 grand to fix. Worked with the bank and got the boat for 15,000.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Admiral

Then I would assume the swivel shafts were replaced as well.

Mike
Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 AM   #15
Ensign

UPDATE:

Just got the boat in the water and what do you know....It floats! Had the mechanic come and do a tune up (fluids, impellers etc) and both engines started right up. Took it on its first cruise and everything went well. Now just getting used to docking such a large boat...... Hey CGG can I get the make and model of your cooler that holds up the port seat? I can't find an exact cooler that will work. That is the only thing that I still need to fix. Does anyone know where I could get the plastic pieces that are on the port wall that the metal bars on the seat attach to? Those are broke as well. Thanks.