Old 07-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Maxum 4600 Accepted Offer

My first post.
I submitted an offer, seller accepted and seatrial then survey is in a few days. We love the boat but its our first big boat. I've had 3 previous smaller lake boats over the years. Moving to ocean now.

This is a new ballgame and wondering if I'm in over my head.
This boat is costing us a lot along with expensive san diego slip fees but thats all ok. Its the maintenance i'm worried about. As it sits, I am pretty confident the boat needs nothing. The sellers were very particular with it in every way.

I'm considering going for the 6pk captains license right off the bat. I have a ton to learn! Never even handled a twin engine boat before.

anyway, wish me luck!

sandiegoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Hope it works out and enjoy her.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Captain

Once you get the hang of it, twin engine is actually much easier.
LISTEN to your surveyor! Do not be afraid to walk away if bad things come up.

You may consider videotaping the entire survey including having the seller walk you through every system on the boat. The video may be a good reference if you forget something later on.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks!

Yeah, we came in at about the max we'd like to spend so if the survey brings up anything major that the seller won't cover then I may back out. But to be honest, the boat looked 2 years old, not 17. I think they were very good at maintaining so I'm not expecting anything big. All servicing was just done (engines, cooling system,etc)

Good idea on the video recording. I'm actually going to hire a captain for 3 days and "teach" me everything I'd ever want to know once the deal is done. I'll have my 15 yr old son there as a backup for my aging memory.

I'm really excited about this! Its something I've been wanting to do for 20 years.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Captain

If there is any evidence of rot, anywhere, run away! I was in a similar position to you, very excited and pretty much maxed out. Overlooked a few small things in my excitement to get the boat. One was some minor evidence of rot.

Turns out that was just the tip of the iceberg, and I've almost paid for the boat a second time getting it repaired.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Good advice! I just googled it and read about it all. Aside from my rookie eyes/knowledge I guess I am at the mercy of the guy doing the survey. I'll do some more research online on what to look for myself.

The whole reason I am spending more than I wanted to is because I want a turn-key boat. Of course I realize boats are money pits and always need something but when I say turn key I mean I don't have to dump $5k in it any time soon. This is the cleanest boat I've seen & I think the owners know it by the money they've dumped into it.

I'm listening to some advise someone told me awhile ago

1) no matter the age or visual appearance. Find a boat that has records of the maintenance. Good maintenance is the key.
2) buy your 2nd boat the first time. I think most boat owners will know what this means.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Captain

I WISH it was only $5k....
Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
I WISH it was only $5k....

I just can't imagine buying a boat and finding out it needs $20k,$40k, $70k of repairs! My wife would flip out.

It makes me wonder if the surveyor has any responsibility when something like this happens. We're not paying them to "kind of" find problems. They NEED to find the problems.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Captain

I'm in an extra $25k. It has definitely added some stress to our relationship. I'm just now getting her interested in being on the boat again.

No, the surveyor has no responsibility. They make that pretty clear in their disclaimers.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Lieutenant

ok, well $25k isn't terrible I suppose. It stings, yes, but once done and you are enjoying the boat it's probably forgettable. I like to forget the negative things in my life quickly!

Part of getting this boat was me deciding I didn't want to be a dying old man with plenty of money in the bank. I'd rather have memories with friends/family than "sound investments" that I can't enjoy. As long as I can pass some things onto my kids I'm happy.

I love being outside, on the water, having my son learn and help out, fishing, etc and essentially I am buying happiness! Not that I'm unhappy with out it all, it just makes life even better & when I'm old I can look back and say that I lived.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Oh, and the one thing that has completely shocked me is the price of a decent tender! People pay $10k on up for these things? Unreal!!

I'm about to go look at a 15 year old RIB center console model for $4k and it appears to be a deal. lol I'm gonna have some trouble handing over $3500 for an inflatable old low powered, old tech boat.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Captain

Get a sevylor at walmart for $100. :-)
Old 07-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy View Post
Oh, and the one thing that has completely shocked me is the price of a decent tender! People pay $10k on up for these things? Unreal!!

I'm about to go look at a 15 year old RIB center console model for $4k and it appears to be a deal. lol I'm gonna have some trouble handing over $3500 for an inflatable old low powered, old tech boat.
You can get a decent dinghy for WAY under 10K. Don't buy a 15 yr old inflatable. PVC breaks down in the sun. That is way beyond its duty cycle.

Look at Defender.com There are many out there for way less than what you're looking at. You should be able to get into a decent rib for $3-4K and a decent engine for around the same. Inflatable floors are less money.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

The bottom line depends on how much you are paying for the boat. I have a 2000 4600SCB and there is always something. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice boat but it is a boat. If you put aside $3000 - $5000 per year you should be able to cover most expenses that come up. I just spent a lot having my dripless bearings on my shafts changed. My sanitation hoses needed replacing. My generator needed work last year. 500-600 hour service is costly. And my boat is in great shape. Well I also had new canvas made and re-carpeted the boat. In the 6 years I've owned the boat I spent about $25000 on stuff. Not including normal maintenance, (zincs, oil, shrink wrap, bottom paint etc.)
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Thanks for the defender.com link!

dbriceno,

This is about what I expected so this is good information to have. Hopefully we do a survey soon so I can see what is going, gone and what is fine.