Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking at Maxums (SE/SCR)

Newbie here and seeking our first boat, a cabin cruiser pre-owned (budget friendly), and interested in the Maxum brand as they seem to be good value for the quality and space (probably because Brunswick dropped the brand?). We have a very local marina nearby that we would keep at slip and are looking at circa 2004 in the 27 ft range. (Seems to be some discrepancy as to when the SCR dropped and became SE), but I digress. Being new to boating we like the cabin cruiser in our Mid-Atlantic area as we can overnight to some interesting places. How important is a generator/genset in the 2700 / 3100? We've talked to a lot of people and they say your first boat won't be your last boat and that you probably won't have it for more than a couple years so get something and decide what you like and don't like. For us, the wide beam and well thought out cockpit and berths seem great on the Maxum vs Sea Ray and others. Any hesitation from current owners on the circa 2004 holding up? I know we need to invest in a survey pre-purchase but general feeling about these boats would be nice to know before we jump in! Thanks!

Lewlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Captain

Welcome. Where in the mid Atlantic?
I grew up boating without a generator and did most of this first season with my 3200 without it working. It's definitely not a necessity, and actually one less thing to worry about...!

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Ensign

Alexandria, VA. For a first-time novice, you are probably giving good guidance that it is one less thing to worry about..
Lewlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Captain

I'm down in Norfolk. I'm sure all the marinas you would visit up there have shore power.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Admiral

First welcome aboard! When you figure out what you like and want to pull the trigger on it, hire a surveyor. Money well spent! Second you and your family take a safe boating course. Go to Home and get into what they have to offer.

Now for boat questions. ...I have a 3000 without a genny . If you take trips to other marinas overnight then you will use your shore power then no genny necessary. But if you decide to anchor out in a cove you might need a genny. What will you do? Find a boat you like but no genny... look into a Honda 2000 out on the swim platform to solve your problem.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I agree with Roger that having a generator is only necessary if you plan on being on the water for hours and you want air conditioning, but be forewarned that these marine generators have a love of sucking down the gas. As Roger said that a Honda 2000 Inverter/generator is a great choice and very quiet and fuel efficient, however you will need a 3000watts to start the air conditioning. The 3000 will power everything on the boat including hot water tank. I have a 3200 SCR and I use a portable genny with 4550 startup. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

There is no discrepancy in when the naming convention went from SCR to SE. They replaced SCR with SE in the 2003 production series.

If you plan on anchoring overnight multiple nights, then a generator is helpful. We anchor from Friday night until sunday afternoon. We use the generator. If we're just going from Sat. to Sunday we won't. You would need it if you planned on running A/C.

For a boat in the 27 to 31 ft range, you can get away with a portable 2K generator.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote