Old 09-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Just getting my first Maxum

Hello everyone!
I just joined this group to share and get feedback as I am completing the purchase of my first Maxum. It's a 30 foot cruiser with a 5.0 Mercruiser engine , its also my first boat ever.
I'm getting it surveyed before I sign the final papers, going for a 2nd sea trial next week. If all goes well, I should be able to enjoy a month or so here in Buffalo before I put it up for the winter.
She seems to be in pretty good shape, pretty generic down below and no camper top, but everything works so far. The moulding took some banging around in the slip (they said the kids weren't taking care of it, that why the sale)
I'm hearing pros and cons about buying this boat, I've been working around the marina all summer so I learned a lot and now I'm presented with an opportunity to have my own boat.
Well, there it is. I was originally looking for something smaller, more easily trailerable, and for about 1/2 the price. But this here seems like the chance to bypass that and get right to what probably would have been my 2nd boat purchase .
Your thoughts?

Eddie Max30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

What year and model is the boat? You said 30ft with a 5.0; is that single engine or twins?

Damaged molding? Do you mean the rub rail?

Not sure what you are spending but a survey by a professional is cheap insurance to finding out issue that can cost thousands.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Weclome aboard Eddie Max30!!!

Are you hearing cons about the specific boat from people around the marina? Are these people in the boat industry? Even the nicest yacht can be reduced to junk through abuse and neglect.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #4
Ensign

Yes, the rub rail is damaged where it bumped repeatedly against the dock. Stuff like that, the canvas was left to rip in the wind, so some neglect as the parents left this boat to their children this season and they just weren't being responsible.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Max30 View Post
Yes, the rub rail is damaged where it bumped repeatedly against the dock. Stuff like that, the canvas was left to rip in the wind, so some neglect as the parents left this boat to their children this season and they just weren't being responsible.

Is the rub rail damage just the insert or the metal part as well? Either way this can be replaced as well as new canvas. Let us know if you buy her and post some pictures.

Mike
Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Ensign

I wanted to say also that this i a single engine. I've been reading threads about a single engine powered 3300, though that is a bigger boat the opinion of some is that the single 5.0 doesn't provide enough power. That's a deal breaker of sorts for me, since there are strong currents in the Niagara river near Buffalo NY and windy conditions on Lake Erie.
Any thoughts on this subject?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Max30 View Post
I wanted to say also that this i a single engine. I've been reading threads about a single engine powered 3300, though that is a bigger boat the opinion of some is that the single 5.0 doesn't provide enough power. That's a deal breaker of sorts for me, since there are strong currents in the Niagara river near Buffalo NY and windy conditions on Lake Erie.
Any thoughts on this subject?
I have never heard of a single 3300 but I have heard of a single 3000 with a big block 7.4.

The 3300 has twins. Guess you need to verify this with the seller.

Mike
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Do you now the year and model number of this vessel? They didn't make a 3300 SCR in a single.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote