Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Default First Boat

Hello all, We are currently in the process of purchasing our first boat. A 2004 2400 SCR. I've never had the feeling of being so terrified yet so excited at the same time. I hope its not to be for starting out. So far im finding very little information about the Maxum models and im wondering what the difference between a SCR and SE are. The boat was listed as an SCR but im not seeing many 2004's that look like ours. If this helps out our Hull# is MXPA13MRF304 , i cant even seem to find the proper owners manual online. Any help and/or input would be great!

DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Commander

Great boat I have a 2002 2400scr lots of fun .I'am sure others will fill you in on the details you want enjoy the ride.

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Admiral

Are you getting a survey done or having a mechanic look at your new boat...........could save save alot of headaches!

Go to usps.org and find out where you and your entire family can take the ABC course (public safe boating course)your insurance company will love you you that. Look into a Vessel Safety Check before you hit the water too, there free, there fun and you will know what the USGC and the state you boat in wants you to have on your boat.

Have fun!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....firstly...you can get a reprinted owners manual from USBOATS with your HIN number.....I have a contact number in the general forum ....second, the differences between the SE and SCR is really just model/options lists....ie engine/drive combination...the rest of the boat will have things like AC or not....Microwave or not....pump style head or electric..just minor options lists.....
now the real question is where are you boating at???...if your a lake boater...the maintenance is going to be different than a salt water boater.....
as stated above...get the boat surveyed by a certified surveyor....that will tell you what kind of condition it was kept in....
once you get a good survey, and any mechanical repairs can be negotiated from the price of the boat.....you and your family will need to take a boating safety course in your area....as Big stated...it will give you some good knowledge and an insurance discount.....
and the best advice I can offer is ....."never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it".....remember ....you have no brakes on this thing....thus my statement...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Ensign

Thank you guys for the advice and input it is greatly appreciated. I will definately be looking into a course. It is currently in a slip. We are going to do sea trials Monday (hopefully) and if all goes well we will have the survey and engine inspection done as well. Shes got just over 200 hrs and very meticulous maintenance records. Super clean, i would eat my dinner off anywhere on the boat, cept maybe the potty. I would expect some things to be found on the survey, hopefully minor. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Admiral

Hey..... have fun Daytripper......we need pictures!

Roger
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Ensign

Sooooo we had our day of sea trials and inspection. Come to find out the boat is a 2500 se and not a 2400 ( explains why i couldnt find a manual based on the hull # ). Inspection revealed, serpent belt needs replacement, bravo 3 steering rod/actuator seal has evidence of residual salt (leak?). Engine has very faint popping/ticking sound at idle ( everyone suspects a possible exhaust gasket leak ) there is also evidence of old exhaust gasket material that had been scraped off ( possibly an ongoing condition, or its not a gasket problem at all,something worse? ). On the bright side the compression and oils looked great. Since im new to boats i had my buddies along and during the sea trial they claimed to have heard a growling noise just driving straight. They thought the I/O should run much quieter and smoother ( i thought it worked like a champ, but thats me). We had a good 2 maybe 3 foot of chop and never did get the boat on plane. My buds thought the poor 5.0 engine was struggling, and claimed this boat should fly through the chop with no issues. Whether this was just the driver or? (broker was driving) Something else noted was that the boat was starboard heavy by maybe 2-3" just sitting in the slip, is that normal? And the last issue is a trailer, there is a 26 footer available. We had planned on taking the boat out and fitting it to the trailer, is this normal and how critical is this to be 100% correct. What are your thoughts?????? I apologize for any incorrect terms but im really trying to learn all this. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Admiral

DT
well..it sounds like you found several problems that need addressing before you plop you cash down..

as for sitting 2-3 in. stbd.....where are the batt's stored...usually they are on the port side...might be a weight distribution problem...nothing more....need to look in the engine bay and see where your water tank etc is located...
2nd...growling at the outdrive is indicative of the gimbal bearing....that will need to be changed out...
salt on the steering is indicative of the gimbal bearing allowing water into the engine drive shaft....there is probably rust back on the u-joints..which should be replaced.....and a new bellows is in the making since the gimbal bearing is being replaced...replace the bellows too.....why not..it's going to be all apart...

ticking...that could be a number of things ....since compression was ok....I'd say that it's probably an exhaust leak....that needs to be repaired or it's going to get alot worse in the coming season and that could cost you a new engine....

as for the trailer...I've not got any experience with them so..I'll let other trailer boaters chim in here...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Captain

hai tripper.....

a ticking and leaking boat of only 6/7 seasons old.....?? now that the problems are comming the owner wants to sell it.....?? i wonder if he did the regular maintainance every year.....because then this would not happend and the boat would be in an excelent condition...(at least the engine)......so think it over one more time befor you give him the money......if the price is right (low) because of the problems, then you saved yourself money to repair it......if the price is normal for a good working boat....stay off with your hands and look for a good one. this is not the only boat on the selling market....

you also can make the appointment with the seller to let it repair on his cost at an official dealer and then buy it.......

this is just my thought....think it over......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Commander

The trailer has to be long enough to support the boat my bunks are flush to the back of the boat and I have the right coupler weight for towing my 2400scr also I added electric over hydraulic from the old surge system . got it from tuff trailers good luck
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Ensign

Ok, i havent given up on this boat yet. But now im being told that for a 25 footer it has a small engine. It has the 5.0 . What are your thoughts? Im seeing a ton of different cruisers with this size engine.....thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Admiral

IMHO I would look for a different boat........I have had the 5.0L engine in a 21 Bayliner and it was a screamer. I have had a 2655 Bayliner that had a 350 or 5.7L and it was OK too. I would think you should be able to hit atleast the lower end of 40 with that 5.0L. Ask yourself these questions.......Am I going to be able to pull skiers or tubers with this engine comfortable? If I have the boat loaded full of people can I even get it on plane? If you have any doubts walk away now. Buy something that will fit your needs!!!! There are plenty of boats out there to buy.

Now the trailer issue . A new trailer for something in that size new from any national manufacturer will work. Somewhere starting 4 to 7 grand. You have painted, galvanized or aluminum to choose from. Painted trailers will rust, galvanized and aluminum won't but more expensive.

This all can be mind boggling........take a deep breath and your figure out what path to take..........

Roger
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

The 5.0 in a 25ft cuddy would probably be just fine. The 5.0 in a crusier (significantly heavier) will have it's work cut out for it. That boat has to weigh at least 6k pounds dry.

If it were just you and your significant other aboard and time to plane and top speed were not a concern, the 5.0 would likely be sufficient. If you load that boat 5, 6, or 7 people, their stuff, food and drink, and a full tank of gas, be prepared to wait.

Have you done any web searches for test reviews of this boat? Might be something out there. The 5.0 is probably the "base" engine.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Commander

Cool power

my 2400scr has a 5.7 carb with a bravo 3 and my top speed is about 40mph at wot . I cruise at 30mph at around 3400 rpm with 4-5 on board and all the gear I would think 6000 lbs loaded.I don't think I would want less power than 5.7.If I was buying a boat now in this market I would buy twin motors and bigger boat .good luck
Old 03-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Commander

Hello Cunuck. Wow! You can cruise at 30 mph at only 3400 rpm?? I have a 2500scr with the 5.7 and now you got me wanting to get out today and check where my rpms are at 30 mph. That sounds really low on the rpm to me, but thanks for giving me a reason to take the boat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunuck View Post
my 2400scr has a 5.7 carb with a bravo 3 and my top speed is about 40mph at wot . I cruise at 30mph at around 3400 rpm with 4-5 on board and all the gear I would think 6000 lbs loaded.I don't think I would want less power than 5.7.If I was buying a boat now in this market I would buy twin motors and bigger boat .good luck
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Commander

I will check but I think around 3400 @30mph on gps in fresh water I have heard saltwater is a little quicker????I won't be on the water till april still - o up here.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Admiral

30mph at 3400 rpm sounds a bit optomistic doesn't it???...best I could get at 3400rpm in my boat with twins and nice water is about 26mph.....be interested in knowing size of boat, engine size/hp, drive, prop size, gear ratio, water conditions that will let you get that kind of performance..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Lieutenant

Daytripper,

My SCR has a 5.0LX / Alpha one / 14.25 x 15p Cruises at 25mph and 3400rpm burning 11-12GPH

Top speed is about 32mph

When I bought my boat, it had the same issues coming on plane. It was fine with 2 people, but add more and some gear and sometimes it never would. I had to pull my motor cause i had 2 cylinders that was down on compression, but mainly I upgraded the camshaft, heads and intake. She planes in 20 seconds now fully loaded. Best money i ever spent. http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...Engine-Project

What was the compresison readings? 6 of mine were 110-125 and 2 were 80. Also, was the tests done with all spark plugs removed? leaving the plug in the cylinder next to the one your testing can mask head gasket leaks.

Also, when I added a second battery, I placed it next to the primary battery on port side and developed the same listing you described. I have countered it by loading heavier on starboard side but plan to move the 2nd battery over soon to solve the issue.

As for the exhaust leaks, all are fairly easy to fix unless its where the y-pipe connects to the drive. But it's a o-ring there and not a gasket. engine would have to be pulled to replace the o-ring.

Replacing the bellows and gimbal bearing is a good idea anyways. I'll never buy another older boat and not just immediately do those things. Cant count on someone else to have done the maintenance as I would. Replace the impeller while your at it.
njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
Commander

so many unbelievers what can I say I will be sure to post a correction in april when the boat is in the water if it is wrong.I did say around 3400rpm could be 3500????but I will check.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Admiral

Ok Ok Ok................. daytripper what did you decide?